Yanmar 1600

/ Yanmar 1600 #1  

7acres

Tractor
Kubota B1750
What is a good price for a YM 1600 with less than 500 hours with loader?

/ Yanmar 1600 #2  
I strongly urge you to check out the seller. There is basically only one part of this market that sells 1600s or puts loaders on them. Get references. Get something in writing re: parts support, because that is one of the models most dealers do not import or sell.

/ Yanmar 1600
It's a private owner.

/ Yanmar 1600 #4  
Then get that information about wherever he bought it. I won't take a 1600 on trade other than as a parts machine.

/ Yanmar 1600
Ok, he stated that he purchased it from a dealer that went out of business in the Finger Lakes area of NY. The tractor was a demo that sat for 10+ years in a showroom. The owner bought it 3 years ago and used it to landscape his property.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the 1600 is the least desirable of the Yanmars.

I'm looking for a decent used compact tractor with a loader that I will use to brush hog 4-5 acres, move some rocks and mulch, and some minor landscaping. My budget is 4-5k.

/ Yanmar 1600 #6  
7acres said:
The tractor was a demo that sat for 10+ years in a showroom.

Does that sound right to you? Either the dealer was lying and the buyer was naive or the seller is lying and he thinks you are naive.

/ Yanmar 1600 #7  
7acres said:
demo that sat for 10+ years in a showroom. The owner bought it 3 years ago
Ok that accounts for 13 years. It's about a 1977-81??? model tractor so there is a second 13-17 year stretch that he hasn't told you about. 500 hours in 30 years, 17 hours per year? No way.

And there never was a dealer showroom for that model in the US - it's a Japan-market model. I doubt an importer of second hand tractors would floor it for ten years.

Yanmars are great but this one sounds like a misrepresented unknown. I would keep looking, or budget maybe $1,000 for the unexpected just in case.

/ Yanmar 1600 #8  
7acres said:
Ok, he stated that he purchased it from a dealer that went out of business in the Finger Lakes area of NY. The tractor was a demo that sat for 10+ years in a showroom. The owner bought it 3 years ago and used it to landscape his property.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the 1600 is the least desirable of the Yanmars.

I'm looking for a decent used compact tractor with a loader that I will use to brush hog 4-5 acres, move some rocks and mulch, and some minor landscaping. My budget is 4-5k.
First it is vintage 75-77, and second it was never ever sold as a new model in the US, so why on earth would it sit in a showroom? Third, no dealer/business person worth 2 cents would allow something to sit ten years while using business capital....it would be made solvent one way or another, sale or auction. Yep, seller is ignorant or worse.....

If it was me, I'd make them work even though I wouldn't buy it...WHO was the dealer, WHERE were they? Tell him you want to just confirm the information. Watch him squirm as additional details come out (ummm, you can't contact him because he was abducted by aliens, the showroom isn't there anymore because a comet fell on the spot....)

I fully understand budgets, but you should know that the new loaders most of us use (there is virtually no such thing as a good used loader for sale...they come along very very seldom) adds from $2500 up to a tractor's cost, so your budget amount will make your search very difficult. We don't usually put a loader on a 2wd smaller than a 2210 (you can see one on our site), as smaller 2wd units with a loader just don't utilize the loader's ability well. Wherever you shop, get references. So many of the recon sellers claim to be individuals selling one tractor, but they have three more out back or in the barn and are always selling one tractor (often with the same lame story). If the seller claims to be an individual, you must press them for where they got it....we tell our customers to use us as a source....tell people you bought it from us, and with the customer's permission (privacy stuff, you know) we will confirm that to potential buyers.

Good luck.

/ Yanmar 1600
Thank you everyone. I appreciate your input...the tractor appeared to be too nice and clean for a 30 year old.

I'll keep looking, this was my first experience looking for a compact tractor.

/ Yanmar 1600 #10  
7 acres,

You did the right thing by asking. And you got good advise. Far too many buy and then when [not if] they have troubles they come asking and then it is too late. Some are simply too embarrassed to ask and our great machine is given a bad rap that it does not deserve.

If you are patient and watchful you will find what you need for the price that you can afford. Happy hunting.

Welcome to TBN.

You were corresponding with one of the several great dealers on TBN--who know what they are talking about and freely give help and advice.

Mike