chance at a YM3110D

/ chance at a YM3110D #1  

64f100

Tractor
Yanmar YM2200, Kioti DK 35 SE
Hey folks, I don't post often but I read the threads as often as I can. I have learned much from this site. I know there is a lot of knowledge and experience out there. I have had a YM2200 for the last 7 years and have worked it hard in the hot Fla. sun. It has never faild me. I had never heard of Yanmar before I bought it from a friend. It has made a believer out of me for the Yanmar quality.
I have spotted a YM3110D on the side of the hiway 4 sale by a private owner for $8700. It has a front end loader that looks to be the type that allows the bucket to be interchanged with a grapple or rake etc. It currently has a 6ft rake or brush scoop attached and the 5ft bucket also. I have not talked to anyone or even heard it run. I just stopped and walked over and looked. It lookes good. looks original......but......it shows 78 hrs on the clock. I've read enough here to know that many reman outfits reset the hours. Does this fact alone mean I should avoid the tractor?
The main reason for this post was to ask for some advise in general and to offer pointers on things I can look for and or check if I go back to run and try out. One thing I would ask is can someone steer me towards the control to engage 4 wheel drive? I ask this as sometimes when you look at a car or equipment, for the purpose of a test ride, the person with the key only offers the key and no other info and say they know nothing. My current tractor is 2 wheel dr. and I know nothing about 4 wheel drive. I would appreciate any help as to what to look for or listen for or even feel for as I operate. This could help me look a little more knowledgeable about what I'm possibly buying. Also, is there a quick way to spot a repaint. I didn't see masking evidence today. I did see Japanese control IDs. Anything you folks could share about the 3110d or 3 cyl. diesels in general would be greatly appreciated.

/ chance at a YM3110D #2  
The price seems a little steep and the hours inaccurate.

Although this is not Yanmar specific, but diesel tractors in general This is what I do:

Talk to the present owner and in general ask about the history of the tractor. Find out where he purchased it and from whom. You need to verify that his dealer has supplied him with regular maintenance items and parts if they were necessary.

Before you even attempt to start the tractor, the ideal circumstances for a mental punch list will be much more revealing problem wise IF it is stone cold and not previously warmed up before you get there.
1- Check the dipstick and crankcase oil. Look, smell and feel the oil as you determine how dirty it is or if there are any trace elements of engine coolant, grit or particles of metal, smell for traces of diesel fuel that may have diluted the oil, and between your finger tips, feel if there is any slightly abrasive debris.
2- Remove the radiator cap, examine the coolant level in the radiator and recovery bottle and check for trace oil residue before you start the tractor. Hop on, pull the throttle lever back 2/3 of the way, pull the decompression handle, depress clutch pedal and engage the ignition key for several seconds and release the decompression handle. It should start right away, if not repeat the process until it does. Once it is running check the radiator again and look for small bubbles that indicate a bad head gasket, cylinder head cracks or damaged engine block. Replace the radiator cap if there is no apparent problems in the coolant.
3- Operate the 3PH and cycle the system several times to check for jerky or erratic problems that may indicate poor maintenance and dirty hydraulic fluid. The test is much more revealing if there is a waited attachment like a box blade or shredder.
4- Test the PTO and engage if there is an attachment that is PTO driven. If there is not, operate the PTO in first gear and VERY carefully see if you can slow down the normal rotation by applying pressure with your hand or boot. Then select the remaining PTO gear speeds while watching over the tractor seat rear.
5- Cycle the hydraulic control valve and FEL several times, and again, your checking for sluggish operation associated with poor maintenance, dirty fluid and filters. Leave the 3PH and FEL bucket curled and 2 off the ground and shut down the tractor. Wait a few minutes to see if the hydraulics creep down excessively or leaks in any of the hydraulic cylinders, hoses and fittings.
6- Restart the tractor and engage all gears and ranges while listening to the Power-Shift transmission for a much louder than usual whine. The power shift transmission's all whine to some degree, but if it's too loud that may indicate wear, poor fluid service and maybe internal damage. The transmission should also shift quickly and without any hesitation while NOT using the clutch.
7- If the owner will allow you -The only, and sure way to check the 4WD is to pull up to an immoveable object like a tree stump or large tree in soft soil conditions, engage the 4WD, first gear, low range and gently let off the clutch and see if the front wheels, alternately spin while looking for traction. Also a good time to engage in 2WD and depress clutch and engage the differential lock to observe the rear wheels spin. This process indicates a good, solid clutch, gears and selections when everything is working properly.

/ chance at a YM3110D #3  
EXCELLENT REPLY!!!! MARK777!!!

Only things I could add are check muffler for excessive oil, check blow by tube for excessive blow by, look for oil and not grease in front end. Grease would imply leaky front end seals.

If possible take a good metric wrench set with you and once tractor is started loosen injector lines at injectors one at a time and confirm engine miss on each cylinder.

Look at oil pressure sending unit and make sure its hooked up correclty. Don't want the lite not to be on when it should be. Check the engine temp sending unit also. While your at it check the tachometer hookup to see if there are any signs of a wrench being on it, or just make sure its hooked up.

/ chance at a YM3110D #4  
Thanks Rock,

You've brought up some points pertanent to the inspection, and items I overlooked. It all helps when you have a strategic plan while used tractor shopping.

/ chance at a YM3110D
Thanks Mark 777 and Rock 2610D. That is just the kind of info I'm looking for. I will print and save. Great stuff.
I'm also concerned about the inaccurate hrs. on the clock. Can anyone suggest any tricks, I can look for, that may have been used to cover up a potential problem/defect? Is there anybody familiar with the 3110D enough to suggest weak or wear points that may give me a clue to the actual use this machine has seen?
The pedals look to have little or no wear compared to my 2200 with 800+ hrs showing. The front tires look to be at 60% with some cracking (lite) the rear look to be a good 80-90%. I didn't think to study the steering wheel. The wheel on mine is in tuff shape. The seat is fine. I do not, however, know if it is original. How can I tell if the seat is original Yanmar?
Mark777, you mentioned that you thought the asking price was a little steep. I had actually thought it was fair for a 30+ hp with fel with 2 attachments. I always assume the seller will come down a little, but even if he doesn't I though he was in the ballpark. Hows come you feel it's steep? Do you think I can do better if I keep looking? Thanks for any input.

/ chance at a YM3110D #6  
I am thinking that it could be a Vietnam recon. I have first hand experience with that (not good) or if it has a 3 digit hour meter like my YM1700 it could have been rolled over. As others have said I would check out the history. Something looks fishy here.

/ chance at a YM3110D #7  
64f100 said:
Thanks Mark 777 and Rock 2610D. That is just the kind of info I'm looking for. I will print and save. Great stuff.
I'm also concerned about the inaccurate hrs. on the clock. Can anyone suggest any tricks, I can look for, that may have been used to cover up a potential problem/defect? Is there anybody familiar with the 3110D enough to suggest weak or wear points that may give me a clue to the actual use this machine has seen?
The pedals look to have little or no wear compared to my 2200 with 800+ hrs showing. The front tires look to be at 60% with some cracking (lite) the rear look to be a good 80-90%. I didn't think to study the steering wheel. The wheel on mine is in tuff shape. The seat is fine. I do not, however, know if it is original. How can I tell if the seat is original Yanmar?
Mark777, you mentioned that you thought the asking price was a little steep. I had actually thought it was fair for a 30+ hp with fel with 2 attachments. I always assume the seller will come down a little, but even if he doesn't I though he was in the ballpark. Hows come you feel it's steep? Do you think I can do better if I keep looking? Thanks for any input.

With 78 hours, you can bet on it being a VN recon. Does it have R.O.P.S. ? Not all YM3110D's have power steering. What brand loader? The front spindle housings can wear out but there is a fix for them. The YM3110D is one of my favorite tractors.

Danny

/ chance at a YM3110D #8  
I may have been hasty in saying the price is steep. It was, however tempered by the fact that the tractor was manufactured from '79-'81 and the hour meter indicates 78. Say the model IS an '81 and making it 27 years old...that equates to roughly 2.9 hours per year.

Forgive my suspicious nature but if the tractor's tac drive cable broke at 78 hours and never replaced than there may be hundreds of unaccountable hours undocumented. And it's highly unlikely that a cable with so few hours would break...and maybe is was disconnected, which brings the whole seller's honesty in question. 60%/80% tire wear is another contributing factor that just doesn't ring true if the tractor hours were legitimate.

I could me wrong (I hope I'm wrong)...and if I am, you've found a diamond and the price is a steal. Or, it's a 78 hour old remanufactured tractor that may conceal hidden problems that the present owner is trying to get rid of.

You might want to check items that recent paint can't hide. Burrs on the PTO shaft, wallowed lower lift arm balls and pins in the rock shaft arms are a strong indication of many hours of operation. Pins on the loader will help indicate the actual operation age of the tractor as well.

Good luck and keep us informed.

/ chance at a YM3110D #9  
well ,I know what paid for mine without an fel but I bought from a dealer that doesn't sell recons . I got dealer support & a 6mo warranty. mine does have ps.The 4wd leaver will be on the left side of the tractor around the platform area.

/ chance at a YM3110D
Thanks guys, more good info. I will check the pins on the fel. All I saw on the fel was Ac3. These letters were not wrote in a line but in a triangle configuration. Such as the A at 10 o'clock the c at 2 o'clock and the 3 was at 6 o団lock, if that makes sense. I say this in the hopes that someone will recognize the logo and know the mfg. I didn't think to look for any stamped into the metal info. It did not have a ROPS. I know nothing about fel. I know It had 2 joysticks not the single. (Are they still called a joystick if there are 2 or is that term reserved for the "one stick does it all" variety?).
I will get with the owner this weekend and test drive and look again at the items mentioned here.
Anybody got any ideas about the seat?
Also, let me say that in no way, shape, or form do I believe that this tractor has only 74 hrs. I can't even believe it is the original paint. But my question is this. How good a paint job does the vm recon folks do? When this thing was repainted, they did a really good job. Is that normal?
I bought my YM2200 7 years ago from a friend because I trusted him. I knew nothing about Yanmars or the grey market remans or otherwise. I did however realize it had been repainted. Or at least the frame /engine area. I now know that this area is green on most. Mine is an off white with the red and white sheet metal. (Maybe that is correct on a 2200) The rubber boot on the shifter and other hoses are painted. The wiring harness from the alternator is painted. I saw none of this on the 3110. I will let everyone know what I find after I try it out. If anyone else has any tips or thinks it is too risky please let me know. I look forward to any and all comments. thanks.