FX24D or 2220?

/ FX24D or 2220? #1  

Remrob108

Tractor
Yanmar FX 24D
I'm trying to decide between 2 Yanmar tractors, one is a 2220D and the other an FX24D. Both will have FEL. I live in the mountains of Northern New Mexico and need the machine to replace a Ford 8N. I've got 3 horses to clean up after, fencing to work on, a long driveway to maintain, a garden to disc, and some winters quite a bit of snow to move. The FX24D has a about 1200 hrs and the 2220 around 800. The price difference is only about $450 more for the FX24. It's my understanding that both machines are basically the same motor and same size. The flat floor on the FX24d appeals to me after years of straddling the 8N tranny. Any thoughts on this? By the way, do all the FX24D's have the differential lock?

/ FX24D or 2220? #2  
You didn't mention whether the 2220was 4WD and had the same Xmission. If not the 24D hands down. I've had mine now for eight years and have used the bejeebers out of it. Yeah, I know bejeebers is a Japanese term associated only with tractors, but I have been more than pleased with mine.

I think the 24D will have a shorter wheel base than the 2220. It might make it easier to get around in a barn, but wouldn't expect to move around well in a stall with the FEL, unless the stall is huge.

BTW, mine is just getting to the 1200 hour mark.

/ FX24D or 2220? #3  
I like both those models. Do they have power steering? In my opinion once you are sitting on the 2220 you have as much room if not more than the FX24. If you are getting a loader, the joy stick will be very close to the shifter on the FX tractor.
Bottom line is both models are good choices, choose which one you like the most.

/ FX24D or 2220? #4  
I've had mine for a little lover 2 yrs and have been satisified. Never a problem with the tractor itself. This series has a lot of options and what you find on any specific tractor can vary.

I have power steering & the UFO controls. I like the open platform but I wish the tractor was a little wider and had a longer wheelbase. The seating area is a litle narrow for me. With the Koyker loader, the front wheels are equal distance to the bucket or rear axle. What this mean is due to weight transfer, for ever lb placed in the bucket, the front axle see an additional 2#. With the stock tires, they are at their max rated capacity with nothing in the bucket. With that said I've picked up close to 700-800# and no failure but the front tire were looking fairly flat and the rear was light even with the tiller in place.

I Make use of the UFO controls so I'm happy it is on the tractor but if you don't ever intend to use this control, there is no need to be concerned if the tractor you get has it.

I also like the fact on this series the creep gearing is a separate range and not just another gear. I have affectively 18 fwd speeds.

Don't know anything about the 2220 model.

/ FX24D or 2220? #5  
I don't think the trans(flat deck) is the same? I though the 2220 trans structure was stronger thus better for(rough) FEL operation? I suppose FEL mount/reinforcement has a lot to do with that? I think PS is standard on FX models(NICE). Lots of nice features standard on FX models. just my 2cents.Dan

/ FX24D or 2220? #6  
X means it has power shift trans. P.S. is an option.

/ FX24D or 2220? #7  
blackd said:
You didn't mention whether the 2220was 4WD and had the same Xmission. If not the 24D hands down. I've had mine now for eight years and have used the bejeebers out of it. Yeah, I know bejeebers is a Japanese term associated only with tractors, but I have been more than pleased with mine.

I think the 24D will have a shorter wheel base than the 2220. It might make it easier to get around in a barn, but wouldn't expect to move around well in a stall with the FEL, unless the stall is huge.

BTW, mine is just getting to the 1200 hour mark.
Yes, he did mention whether it was 4wd. "D" means 4wd on a Yanmar model, and ALL 2220s are Powershift, as well as all FXs. Their weights and lengths are nearly identical.

/ FX24D or 2220? #8  
Your correct Wayne. I missed the "D" in the text.

/ FX24D or 2220?
Well guys, I appreciate the comments. I did some more checking and couldn't find anybody that was unhappy with their FX24D. The biggest issue seems to be the wheelbase and front axle weight with a FEL, but it doesn't seem to be a deal breaker.
I called Stan Hoye today and ordered the FX24D. I like the UFO feature, the location of the power shift on the fender near the joystick and since I'll be operating it at 8000ft the little extra HP will help make up for what I lose with the altitude.
Mickey_FX, how big are you?
The overall size on these tractors has been a little difficult for me to ascertain. I've been using an 8N Ford for over 20 years and have been trying to figure out just how these tractors match up.

/ FX24D or 2220? #10  
5'8", 220. I hit my leg on the turn signal stock almost everytime I get on the machine. Reaching down on either side for either the 3-pt controls or the tans range lever on the left, they are too close for my liking. I think the seat is biased a little to the left as I don't have any problems seeing the 3-pt controls but I'm up against the range lever. It's just a straight line movement but it is somewhat easy to move the lever mid-point between gears. The parking brake lever is behind my lower left leg.

Wishing things were not so compact.

Here is some info you may find useful. With nothing but me in the saddle, my machine tips the scale at 3900#, 2140# on the front and 1760# on the rear. Yep, the front axle load is greater than the rear.

To get an idea of size, here is a pic with me in the saddle.

Attachments

• tractor.jpg
    tractor.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,095