Turbos and Yanmars

/ Turbos and Yanmars #1  

rock2610D

Silver Member
Tractor
2610D
I have been getting alot of private requests for turbo recommendations.

I will post my thoughts:

1) There are only 2 MFGs that I know of that produce turbos small enough for diesel engines in the 110 Cubic inch/40 hp and less displacements...

2) They are MHI(Mitsibushi) and IHI.

3) My turbo is a MHI TD025M and it works very well on a 3T80 motor however if I had to do it all over again I would pick a MHI TD02 with a waste gate. The smaller turbo would respond to a 3T80 motor better my TD025M takes 2000 rpm to really boost well. The smaller turbo will start boosting at 1800 or so rpm..

4) In my opinion a TD025 is PERFECT with a waste gate for a 336 class yanmar.

5) Any thing smaller that an 80 CID diesel or less than 25 HP will require the smallest turbos made. IE the TD015 by MHI or the RHF3 by IHI. I have not used the RHF3 but I believe its good from 20 to 100 hp.

/ Turbos and Yanmars #2  
I used a turbo off of a Yamaha Seca motor cycle. The thing is so small it fits in the palm of your hand. To give you a sense of size, the exhaust pipe is 1 1/2".

Attachments

• 805172-S2400003a.jpg
    805172-S2400003a.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,483
   / Turbos and Yanmars #3  
What do you think about a RHB31 for a YM1700 and set the boost around 4psi?

/ Turbos and Yanmars
I first have to ask why you are turbocharging?

I did it because of my elevation....7800 feet.

If you are not compensting for elevation I strongly suggest upgraded radiator and an oil cooler. Mine 2610D in also intercooled via a small intercooler from an eagle talon this helps too.

Now to the 1700 YM 2 cylinder I think this makes a turbo somewhat difficult. A 3 banger is hard enough. Your turbo will likely pulse, a box or intercooler is helpful. Like one of the boxes on a JD 1050 for instance it redueces the effect of the pulsing exhaust strokes.

I do not know much about the IHI turbos but MHI has a turbo that should work. A TD015 the smallest they make. You will not need a wastegate at it is even on the large size for you an I suspect you will only get 5 to 8 psi under extreme heavy load, say plowing and such. Waste gates are tipically for gassers and the only reason to have one on a diesel is if you have an engine and turbo that are designed to produce high boost at low rpm( say 1500 or so) then you could see a need for a wastegate. Diesels can typically only produce boost from power supplied via exhaust and they tend to self regulate.

/ Turbos and Yanmars #5  
I have a YM1602D. I want to know what size you would recommend and who to order the turbo from?

/ Turbos and Yanmars #8  
The twin scroll Mit TD02 is a nice turbo. The most popular is the Garrett GT12.

Are these turbos good for a stock engine application. I would need something that spools at around 1800 RPMs. I want to know how to get my hands on one without spending $300+ on a dinky little turbo?

/ Turbos and Yanmars #9  
I think you want dinky.

So it will spin up at typical tractor rpm.

There's no way you can increase tractor rpm up to what that turbo came off of.

/ Turbos and Yanmars #10  
I know I need a small turbo, but the question is were to order a used one that isn't $300. and the people that have them for sale don't know what or how big it is. They just know who makes it.