Engine knock

/ Engine knock #1  

Anonymous Poster

I have a 1610D Yanmar with A 5' woods finish mower.Today after mowing for about an hour, was on my way back to the barn ,the engine started missing and developed a loud knock a little above idle .Shut it down & checked oil, everything seemed OK. Started it back up & let it idle to the garage ,sounds ok now. The oil light never came on while it was running. Could a fuel injector cause anything like this if it would stick ? Any ideas what to check? Thanks Caveman

/ Engine knock #2  
Sounds like a sticky injector.Be sure the fuel filter is clean and your fuel is fresh and clean.Sometimes its necessary to remove fuel tank to clean as all of the slime, water, ect settles to the bottom and when the tractor bounces around, it will pick up some of this.Usually a diesel fuel conditioner will help that injector, but if not, it should be checked out. It can cause damage to piston if not corrected.

/ Engine knock #3  
Yep, I gotta agree with TBrad. It could be something serious of course....but chances are it is something that the fuel did to an injector. Clean the whole fuel system even if it means taking the tank out to swab it. New filter, new fuel, and add an injector cleaner made specifically for diesels. - I used B&G. Expensive cleaner, but I did all the things mentioned above and mine cleared up. Couldn't tell you which one fixed it.

/ Engine knock #4  
Did what you & TBrad said, cleaned the tank changed the fuel filter and blew out the lines.After we got the air bled out it fired right up.Mowed 2 hrs. today, ran great!!

Thanks alot!!

Caveman