Tractor Sizing finish mower SIZE

/ finish mower SIZE #11  
I had a similar situation to that. It was out of season, (winter) and for some reson I thought I needed a finish mower. Of course nobody was stocking items liek that.. would have been special order. I went to this dealer, and while looking around say a 4' still partially disassembled and strapped to its shipping pallette.. same circumstances.. just a bit of rust, etc. And got a similar deal as you... they just wanted it outta there.

Isn't it great to hit a good deal every now and then.

Soundguy

/ finish mower SIZE
Soundguy,

As a newbie to tractors, I've fought the urge to run out and buy every attachment known to man! I started with a tiller, a carryall, and then I found a grader blade that needed some welding. Finally, as the grass got high, I talked my wife into a finish mower. However, I have noticed blank stares from her when I gush about three pt cement mixers and chippers! I love my Yanmar! It does help, I have found, to translate new purchases into home projects that please the wife! But I have learned to be patient, finally, and poke around dealer lots and read the classifieds for equipment auctions. This approach has been very educational, and alot of fun as well....plus a bargain every now and then helps stretch the tractor budget!

HILLBILLYMAN

/ finish mower SIZE #13  
Similar here. I just buy the impliments as i need them.

Luckilly enought, I have been -given- two impliments that just needed a bit of service.. a 6' disc ( lots of service really ) and an 8x8 drag harrow... just had to unkink/unroll it.

I also bought a 5' box blad besid ehte road for 100 bucks... needed some sledgehammer/wood block work.. but works fine.

My last impliment, was a 3pt seeder/spreader. My wife didnt think we needed one, so we used 2 walk behind seeders to overseed and fertalize our 3 ac pasture. ( she acted like it was going to kill her... ) When it came time to do the 10 ac pasture, which needed a full load of seed and fert ( had been disc'd ) I said.. well a 3pt spreader would mean less work.. yada yada yada.. bang.. we got one that day.. and I got about 8 hours of seat time to boot.

Soundguy

/ finish mower SIZE #14  
Is anyone running a 5' brush hog with 15 hp. I am looking for a tractor, Sold the tired 9N that i have been using. I think it was rated at 19 hp. Would be cutting grass only approx. 10"tall

/ finish mower SIZE #15  
You might be overreaching here. The problem is not only what you are attempting to cut, but the mass that the motor is trying to control. A 5' has quite a bit more total mass and spinning mass (rotar and blades) than a 4'. I'm far from being an expert, but I'd look at this issue before I installed an impliment larger than the tractor or impliment manufactors recommend.

/ finish mower SIZE #16  
My 186D (14 PTO hp) has trouble cutting heavy grass with a 4' KK bush hog. I suspect you need more than 15 hp to cut heavy grass with a 5' bush hog./w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif

Chris

/ finish mower SIZE #17  
That 9n should have been around 24-26 engine hp.

Soundguy

/ finish mower SIZE #18  
I read somewhere, I believe it was the fergison tractor club that the 8n was 24-26 hp. and the older 9n was 19 hp. I think mine was a 1939 model.

/ finish mower SIZE #19  
The Intertec Used Tractor Price Guide says the 9N is 23 PTO HP.

Chris

/ finish mower SIZE #20  
i have a ym 1600 with a 5' finishing mower and have no problem pulling it. it's a little heavy, so counter weights on the front make a big difference when lifting it.