U Joint issue and question

/ U Joint issue and question #1  

Tom_Stewart

Tractor
Yanmar YM 2500
Question # 1:
Yesterday while TRYING to do a little tilling for my neighbor with a Yanmar YM 2500 tractor and Yanmar tillar....I snapped the u joint on the pto shaft. After doing a search I could not find any instructions. Is this easy to fix and can someone steer me to the right place for directions? I need to press in or otherwise replace the "T" section that connects the two yokes.

Question #2: Normally this tractor runs at about 170 degrees...I was trying to till some very dry clay to no avail and was putting some pressure on the tractor...While doing this the temp came up to around 200 -205 degrees....
What does your 2500's run at under a heavy load?

Thanks,
Tom

/ U Joint issue and question #2  
Tom_Stewart said:
...can someone steer me to the right place for directions? I need to press in or otherwise replace the "T" section that connects the two yokes.
I see no one has answered so I'll say what (little) I know:

I would look under Bearings in the Yellow Pages. After a couple of calls you will likely find a shop that can provide the cross, and that can also press it in for you.

Or ask an auto shop who does their driveline work for them.

/ U Joint issue and question #3  
My neighbor broke mine last year. I could not find a replacement easily nor quickly, so just replaced the whole PTO. I did need to cut the new one down to fit. Tractor supply and/or AgriSupply.

/ U Joint issue and question #4  
If you are not that patient with tedious and a troublesome task that seems easy, go to a local NAPA (or similar) Auto Parts store that has a machine shop at that location. Call first to ensure they do that at that location, or ask which location will do it. Then they will mic the old part for the new replacement and install it.

The needle bearing cups are tough to get out, especially on old rusty yokes.

Tip:
1. remove snap rings and sand blast that area to remove rust.
2. use a small light hammer, impact inertia removes them easiest, not mass weight.
3. hold and hit the yoke of the upright cup you want remove. (it has been awhile, might be the opposite yoke/shaft?)
4. very fast hammer hits, power/weight is not that important.
5. use allot of grease in the cups to help keep needle bearings in place, keep vertical and use c-clamp to get both apposing cups inserted to yoke. The use a socket of similar size to continue pressing cups so snap rings can be inserted. Be sure none of the needle bearing fall or get knocked over and are forced to the bottom off the cup, if so it is a redo, both cups will not insert completely allowing snap rings to be installed.
6 Auto parts store should be able to replace u-joints from yoke measurements, so bring them. (cup diameter and distance between snap rings)

Rhett

/ U Joint issue and question #5  
Tom,

I have about 30 yanmar tiller pto shafts on a pallet on our lot
You can contact us at 503-829-9170

Ernie