new -- YM1401D transmission, reliable parts

/ new -- YM1401D transmission, reliable parts #1  

slw

we have a YM1401D and the transmission has gone -- several gears are gone and there's metal bits everywhere

it was suggested that it would be better to just buy the whole transmission than try to fix this one because of the cost of the individual parts.

Hoye Tractor has one for $1500 plus shipping -- but it's used & there's no guarantee.

just wondering since it's the first major repair if anyone else has bought one like this?
how happy is everyone with Hoye?
is there anywhere else reliable to order parts?

any opinions would be great.

/ new -- YM1401D transmission, reliable parts
thanks for the clarification -- i guess our mechanic was going to do a little markup.

can you tell me what the shipping would be to VA?

and -- my biggest worry is that we'll get it, have it installed, and then it just won't work. i wasn't trying to bash your company or anything -- just this is all fairly new to us and the no warranty thing kind of worries me a little.

i'm finding your company is a sponsor to every tractor site around that has anything to do with yanmar, so i'm feeling a bit better -- just have to be careful with anything you find on the internet.

/ new -- YM1401D transmission, reliable parts #4  
If the engine is good, I would go the other direction. I would part out the 1401D you have (the front end parts and engine will eventually sell) and buy a good used unit with a warranty. You can either part it out yourself over about 3 years for maximum return, or sell it outright as a parts unit for substantially less, or trade it in to one of several dealers on a used unit that has warranty. I'd say there's a fair chance you could find a reputable dealer who would take it on trade and pick it up when they deliver your good warrantied tractor;). It does roll, doesn't it?

it did roll great -- but now the transmission is out

that's a good suggestion though

/ new -- YM1401D transmission, reliable parts #6  
The question was regarding whether it could be pushed up on a delivery truck (using the tractor you would have delivered) or does it have to be lifted? I would not want to spend that kind of $$ putting a transmission in a tractor unless I knew every other inch of it was in good condition. In our 14 years we have used one (1) transmission gear....not including brake stub axles/pinion gears which almost never break except when someone misuses the differential lock. This would make me very concerned about a unit that lost multiple gears....have you had it for like several years and 100+ hours, or is it a relatively recent acquisition? If the latter, I vote good riddance. Good luck.

it is a recent aquisition, but seems in really good shape.

tractors are new to us -- we really just need to maintain some country property with the bushhog -- got it stuck in a hole in 100 degree heat.

i'm sure my husband got impatient & did something to it trying to get it out the hole -- it was fine before and then was having a loud clicking noise from the transmission.

we got it from someone who had just sold some horse property & didn't need it anymore -- from the looks of his house, cars, etc -- he sure didn't need to make the little bit of money we spent on it by ripping someone off.

he said that he had never had to do anything but change the filters & he had replaced the battery last year. everything seemed really strong & in good working order when we took it -- i'm pretty sure we messed it up. in fact, he said he could feel it going gear by gear.

so anyway -- we're thinking about what to do -- but that's the background.
with a car or truck, if the engine seems good, we've always had a bad transmission rebuilt or replaced -- so that's where our thinking is at the moment.

thank you gizmo -- after a little communication with aaron, it does seem they are very nice people

/ new -- YM1401D transmission, reliable parts #10  
SLW you cant go wrong dealing with hoye tractor, they are top notch.

I have dealt with them for years and have never had a problem.

They do us all a great service by supplying parts, so do the other dealers on this forum:D

Ernie