Rear Axle Seal Replacement

/ Rear Axle Seal Replacement #1  

NMYAN

Hello,

New to this forum and new owner of a Yanmar Tractor that I aquired from a friend and don't know much about it. It appears to have been repainted JD Green and says 1401 on hood. It is 4x4 and has a 3 cyl engine. Seems to run good but I noticed that the rear axle seals appear to be leaking pretty good, oil is running out where the axle goes into the case. It appears that there a seal or bearing seated in the case there that was painted over. I was hoping someone could tell me the best way to fix it. I have tools and can work on things, but it appears that the axle may have to be pulled to get this thing fixed properly and I don't want to start tearing into it until I get some advice.

/ Rear Axle Seal Replacement #2  
The first piece of advise is to check with one of the parts dealers listed here and get the closest repair manual for your tractor. Having just replaced the headgasket along with fixing other things I can attest to the value of the manual. There is alot of good info in it

/ Rear Axle Seal Replacement #3  
I'm a Yanmar dealer & can supply parts & manuals. I usually recommend at least getting the parts book before tackling this kind of job. It has a breakdowm of all the parts . You will have to remove the kydraulic lift housing to get at the axle drive gear retaining bolts. sheaftractor@coiinc.com

/ Rear Axle Seal Replacement #4  
I replaced the rear axle seals on my 2210 last spring. I not only had to remove the hydraulic lift assembly, but it was necessary to remove the PTO transmission in order to access the interior axle retaining bolts. It was a great educational opportunity to see and appreciate what makes everything move! One of the biggest challenges was to reinstall the two PTO shift linkage pins without dropping them to bottom of the rear end (long surgical forceps were invaluable for this).