Oil & Fuel Questions about Oil, Oil Filter, Other Fluids

/ Questions about Oil, Oil Filter, Other Fluids #1  

splat55

Okay Guys,
Here are a few new questions. Not knowing for sure how many hours my tractor has....494, 1494, etc, and not knowing when last fluids were changed, I figure it might be best to begin replacing. And, because I have that leak in the FEL ram, I should check that hydraulic oil as well. While I'm at it, I guess I should drain the coolant and engine oil and go through those.
From what I understand in the manual....the trans oil is also the hydraulic oil, is that right?
So, since you guys have experience with the Yanmars, these are " which fluid do you recommend " questions.
The manual recommends JD 303...or something like that, for the trans/hydraulic. What do you guys use.
Engine oil......I've heard of Delo....but again, what do you guys use. I am guessing a 30wt oil because most of my tractor time will probably be in 60 degree weather and above....except when I've got to move snow from the driveway...woohooooo...no more shovel work!
The manual says it's good to use an anti rust & antifreeze with soft water for coolant. I've never seen an anti rust solution, but then, maybe I've never looked. Do any of you guys use it?
Lastly, the oil filter. Do any of you guys have any napa, wix, etc. numbers that I can use to purchase a correct oil filter?

/ Questions about Oil, Oil Filter, Other Fluids #2  
hyd... jd 303 or equiv. Oil 15w40 filters I just order several of them at a time from my dealer

/ Questions about Oil, Oil Filter, Other Fluids #3  
splat55 said:
Okay Guys,
Here are a few new questions. Not knowing for sure how many hours my tractor has....494, 1494, etc, and not knowing when last fluids were changed, I figure it might be best to begin replacing. And, because I have that leak in the FEL ram, I should check that hydraulic oil as well. While I'm at it, I guess I should drain the coolant and engine oil and go through those.
From what I understand in the manual....the trans oil is also the hydraulic oil, is that right?
So, since you guys have experience with the Yanmars, these are " which fluid do you recommend " questions.
The manual recommends JD 303...or something like that, for the trans/hydraulic. What do you guys use.
Engine oil......I've heard of Delo....but again, what do you guys use. I am guessing a 30wt oil because most of my tractor time will probably be in 60 degree weather and above....except when I've got to move snow from the driveway...woohooooo...no more shovel work!
The manual says it's good to use an anti rust & antifreeze with soft water for coolant. I've never seen an anti rust solution, but then, maybe I've never looked. Do any of you guys use it?
Lastly, the oil filter. Do any of you guys have any napa, wix, etc. numbers that I can use to purchase a correct oil filter?

i dont know what model your tractor is, but go to this site and u will find the filters

WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

/ Questions about Oil, Oil Filter, Other Fluids #4  
shimp said:
i dont know what model your tractor is, but go to this site and u will find the filters

WIX Filters : Filter Look-Up

I have a YM2001 2WD

Engine Oil - Rotella 15w40
Oil Filters - Yanmar Tractor Parts

Hyd/Trans Fluid - I used Coastal 303 from AutoZone - $32 for 5 gallons.

Grease Fittings - Rotella Heavy Duty machinery grease

Check your front wheel hubs and bearings, clean and repack every 300 hours, this is overlooked by many including myself.

Coolant - I just use water, never had a issue overheating.

/ Questions about Oil, Oil Filter, Other Fluids
Hey Kenmac, Shimp and Smoody,
Thanks guys.....I appreciate the info. A couple of great links there for the wix filters and the parts link.....good info on what you guys use too. Now I know what to get. Thanks again.
Brian

/ Questions about Oil, Oil Filter, Other Fluids #6  
splat55 said:
Thanks guys.....I appreciate the info. A couple of great links there for the wix filters and the parts link.....good info on what you guys use too. Now I know what to get. Thanks again.
Brian

we are proud to help:)

/ Questions about Oil, Oil Filter, Other Fluids #7  
splat55 said:
Brian

No problem, glad to help.

Also there are alot of great dealers that visit this site that you can get just about any part you need, just ask and they'll respond.

Also just an FYI, the grease zirks are 6MM (on most yanmars) I'm betting you have a few that are clogged and wont accept grease, I suggest replacing and making sure all are greased regularly. Its the small things that keep them running.

I bought them from Advanced Autoparts, 68 cents ea., but I'm sure just about any auto store will have them

/ Questions about Oil, Oil Filter, Other Fluids
Hey Guys,
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the info and such on fluids, filters etc. And Smoody, you were exactly right.....I did have a few 6mm zerks that just plain didn't want to take grease.....luckily as you suggested, I picked up a few while I was getting oil, filters, etc. So, now anyway, all my issues are slowly being resolved. Finally got the stuck key out of the ignition....who knows how long it was in there. Pulled the ignition switch lubed the innards, used electronic cleaner and a blow gun and now it works like new. Found a short in the work light on the rear of the tractor...fixed it and replaced the fuse link for the headlamps & work light and now they all work great. Changed the engine oil and filter. Topped of the hydraulic/trans fluid with the intent to change it in about a month after running the tractor a bit more and looking for any leaks. I did have one in one of the rams of the FEL...I noticed the leak about a week after getting the tractor home. But, for some reason, after using it, I haven't seen a drop of fluid from that ram. As suggested by a member, I ran the front hydraulics completely through it's cycle 3 or 4 times.....I hadn't done that since I had the tractor...anyway, now it's not bleeding down like it was before.
Oh, got a new front tire today to match the one the seller put on the day I bought the tractor. The were both pretty worn, but one was flat and he agreed to replace that one......leaving me only one to buy. Now I have some sweet feet all the way around on the tractor. Oh, and I ordered my ROPS today...wooohooooo! I even spent a little time yesterday(very little) rubbing the paint out on the tractor in a few spots. Will post some pics this weekend of the tractor now since it looks a little better than the day I brought her home. Again, thanks guys.....and will have more questions soon.