New member needing parts YM2200

/ New member needing parts YM2200 #1  

6011Artist

Gold Member
Tractor
1957 Ferguson 35, 1977? Yanmar 2200, 1963 Cub Cadet Original
Hi everyone, new here and really glad I found this forum. I was about ready to sell my 2200 and about two weeks ago I googled Yanmar and realize parts are a lot more available than they were 5 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I like the tractor, but was thinking about letting someone else be the proud owner of something parts were not available for, and if you did find it, thought they were made of gold.

7 years ago was quoted 460.00 for a water pump from Japan, local grey market dealer sent old one off to be rebuilt for 160.00, now can buy new for 150.00. 4 years ago steering box went out, found water had gotten in and really done a job on ball bearings, rusted enough to cause the worm gear assembly to come apart. Was told no rebuild parts were available and new steering box and shaft assembly was 1000.00. Tractor has been sitting since 2004. I can now get all parts needed for around 200.00. Hoye seems to be a lifesaver for me and all the other grey market Yanmar owners.

While tractor was not being used, I lost the key. It's around here somewhere but can't seem to put my hand on it. If I buy a complete ignition switch for 50.00, the key will turn up for sure! Does anyone have an original YM2200 key I could buy? Or maybe the whole ignition with key for a 2200. I really would like to keep it original. Aaron @ Hoye has the later model keys but not the early ones.

Also need 1 turnbuckle for an original check chain on 3 pth. Will buy complete chain to get the turnbuckle. Aaron @ Hoye told me they scrap all 3pth parts as there is no call for them and the tractors store easier without those parts. Sure wish he had original parts. I know I can buy aftermarket chains but if one of you guys have one you will part with I'd much rather have the older one.

I want to crank tractor up to make sure all is still ok before I spend big money to rebuild the steering, so if ANYBODY has an extra key I really need it!

I have already spent several hours reading over the forum and have learned a lot here. Hope I can contribute as well but finding parts and a network of people knowledgable about the grey market tractors sure renews my desire to get my 2200 back in working condition.

/ New member needing parts YM2200 #2  
In no way am I saying anything negative about Hoye, but nobody can have everything. I have read nothing but good things about them. That said try Fredricks Equipment, I have seen his warehouse, have one of his tractors by way of Steve at Spaulding Tractors. I do not know about vintage parts but at least one more place to try. Good luck on getting the 2200 going again.

/ New member needing parts YM2200
In no way was I thinking negative about Hoye, very glad to have found them. And I understand they have limited room to store like everyone else. Hope to do business with them on my steering parts. Just trying to find used parts that they don't have to keep everything original. Thanks ninefinger for the reply and info on Fredericks, can never have too many parts sources.

/ New member needing parts YM2200 #4  
hi 6011Artist,

you need no key to start, just jump the solenoid to starter, diesel utilizes compression for ignition --- at least on these Yanmar Engine Types --- Fuel = run / No Fuel = stop

basicly, a key is a seat comfort creature to get going. ? My key no stop engine, throttle lever does?

Large Bore Yanmar's do have Magnetos that give Spark Assist Ignition... but... so far i've only seen them in the oil fields or ships.

as for original replacement parts, someone should chime in if they have them available...
urgh, Parts Tractor on their lot???

Oh Well,
Good Luck

Thanks Rhett, you are right about throttle shutting engine down. My tractor has glow plugs. Can I jump a wire from the battery to the wire going to the glow plugs for a short time to get them to heat up without messing up anything? Don't want to fry anything and cost myself money from not knowing.

/ New member needing parts YM2200 #6  
Hi everyone, new here and really glad I found this forum. I was about ready to sell my 2200 and about two weeks ago I googled Yanmar and realize parts are a lot more available than they were 5 years ago. Don't get me wrong, I like the tractor, but was thinking about letting someone else be the proud owner of something parts were not available for, and if you did find it, thought they were made of gold.

7 years ago was quoted 460.00 for a water pump from Japan, local grey market dealer sent old one off to be rebuilt for 160.00, now can buy new for 150.00. 4 years ago steering box went out, found water had gotten in and really done a job on ball bearings, rusted enough to cause the worm gear assembly to come apart. Was told no rebuild parts were available and new steering box and shaft assembly was 1000.00. Tractor has been sitting since 2004. I can now get all parts needed for around 200.00. Hoye seems to be a lifesaver for me and all the other grey market Yanmar owners.

While tractor was not being used, I lost the key. It's around here somewhere but can't seem to put my hand on it. If I buy a complete ignition switch for 50.00, the key will turn up for sure! Does anyone have an original YM2200 key I could buy? Or maybe the whole ignition with key for a 2200. I really would like to keep it original. Aaron @ Hoye has the later model keys but not the early ones.

Also need 1 turnbuckle for an original check chain on 3 pth. Will buy complete chain to get the turnbuckle. Aaron @ Hoye told me they scrap all 3pth parts as there is no call for them and the tractors store easier without those parts. Sure wish he had original parts. I know I can buy aftermarket chains but if one of you guys have one you will part with I'd much rather have the older one.

I want to crank tractor up to make sure all is still ok before I spend big money to rebuild the steering, so if ANYBODY has an extra key I really need it!

I have already spent several hours reading over the forum and have learned a lot here. Hope I can contribute as well but finding parts and a network of people knowledgable about the grey market tractors sure renews my desire to get my 2200 back in working condition.

I have several YM2200 parts tractors, I will see if I have a key, BTW 4 years ago the steering box assembly was available and it was less than $ 500.00 (new OEM)

Danny

/ New member needing parts YM2200 #7  
My tractor has glow plugs. Can I jump a wire from the battery to the wire going to the glow plugs for a short time to get them to heat up without messing up anything? Don't want to fry anything and cost myself money from not knowing.

Glow Plugs, forgot about those, my YM1600 does not use them. You are right, and very smart by not just jumping wires too them. I do not have wiring schematics so I can be of no help there. Waiting for a key would be wise if glow plugs are needed to cold start.

I think that any Yanmar key will work for you. I read elsewhere that they are not keyed differently. The key blank I have here is an, ilco - X 1000 FR a local hardware may have them.

"1danny", Thanks for being there. Parts, parts, parts - ya never know when they will be needed...

6011Artist, I have a spare key. PM if you need it, I can drop in mail if "1danny" hasn't already helped you.

Rhett

Danny, I do not doubt you on parts being available then. You seem to be into these tractors a lot deeper than I am. I was quoted $1000 by the same dealer that sold me the tractor and told me I could walk into John Deere and buy any part that I needed for it. When the water pump went out was when I realized they seem to have an attitude about the grey market tractors. The last time I talked with the dealer that sold it to me was the second incident of parts not being available as he said. I pass by his business regularly and see he has become the Kubota dealer, only has 5-6 Yanmars and they are on the back of his lot.

These forums are the greatest thing since sliced bread was invented! A whole network of people willing to help others in need of knowledge or parts. Ready to get my rice paddy tractor back to work!

Rhett, I did PM you on this site, let me know if you got it. Was not aware of that feature.

/ New member needing parts YM2200 #9  
Rhett, I did PM you on this site, let me know if you got it. Was not aware of that feature.

Hi 6011Artist,

Key is in the mail...

Rhett

/ New member needing parts YM2200 #10  
Danny, I do not doubt you on parts being available then. You seem to be into these tractors a lot deeper than I am. I was quoted $1000 by the same dealer that sold me the tractor and told me I could walk into John Deere and buy any part that I needed for it. When the water pump went out was when I realized they seem to have an attitude about the grey market tractors. The last time I talked with the dealer that sold it to me was the second incident of parts not being available as he said. I pass by his business regularly and see he has become the Kubota dealer, only has 5-6 Yanmars and they are on the back of his lot.

These forums are the greatest thing since sliced bread was invented! A whole network of people willing to help others in need of knowledge or parts. Ready to get my rice paddy tractor back to work!

Sorry, I couldn't find an extra key. I sent you a PM. There are at least 5 different keys that I know of. The key on the right is for a YM2200.

Attachments

• 111-1159_IMG.JPG
    111-1159_IMG.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 253