Adding Guages To your Yanmar

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #1  

pennwalk

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 186D
In another thread Mike said <font color=blue>Idiot lights scare me</font color=blue> I know that some of you have added aftermarket guages to your Yanmars. Can you go through it again for us?

Chris

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #2  
Chris,
I have added the following to my Yanmar:

Amp Gauge
Volt Meter
Oil Pressure Gauge
Temp. Gauge

I installed them in the "front of the dash", but turned a few of the gauges so I could read them from the seat. If anyone would like to see pics, I'll try to remember to post some tonight.

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #3  
While there are many methods and gauges that will work, here are the parts that I used to install oil pressure and water temperature gauges on a YM1700.

Water Temperature Gauge: Sunpro CP8207. Requires metric adapter (16mm x 1.5mm), which is included in Sunpro kit CP7574.

Oil Pressure Gauge: Used Sunpro oil pressure gauge. Requires 1/8-28 (BSP) to 1/8-27 (NPT) adapter, which was included with the gauge kit. This adapter is also included with Sunpro kit CP7573.

If you decide to install a "T" fitting for the oil pressure gauge, you will need a 1/8" NPT "T" fitting, 1"x1/8 NPT close nipple, and a new Oil Pressure Switch with 1/8" NPT threads. I used a Sorenson OPS7, 3-9 psi, available at Advance Auto.

I chose to install the gauges under the dash primarily because it was easy. While most of these parts were available at Advance Auto, I did have to order the metric adapters online at www.sunpro.com. However, I have since seen the metric adapters at various auto parts stores.

Will post pictures tonight.

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #4  
I added temp. volts, oil to my 1500D. I got the gauges from Autozone. They need 2 1/16 holes. I drilled holes where the idiot lights were using a 2" hole saw then filed out the hole so the gauges fit. this produced a nice looking clustered on the dash thats easy to read. The volt and oil gauges hooked up real easy with the metric adaptor kit that Autozone sells for these gauges. However, none of the adapters worked for the temp guage. Anything I tryed had the probe to far out of the block for my liking. I ended up getting a metric hydraulic fitting that screwed into the block, drilling it to fit the probe, and then using the JB Weld for radiators to glue the probe into the fitting. Its been in place for almost a year with no problems.

Larry

/ Adding Guages To your Yanmar #5  
Here are the pics of the gauges I used. Bought an inexpensive set at Wal-Mart and threw the mounting bezel away. They are the smaller 1 1/2" set. Cut holes in the dash with knock-out cutters that electricians use. The set had only 3 gauges, so I called the manufacturer and bought the 4th one through their service department.

Attachments

• 49-141396-MVC-005S.JPG
    49-141396-MVC-005S.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 1,481
   / Adding Guages To your Yanmar #6  
I too had to get a metric fitting from Sunpro to make one of them fit, think it was the oil pressure line.

Attachments

• 49-141398-MVC-006S.JPG
    49-141398-MVC-006S.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 1,096
   / Adding Guages To your Yanmar #7  
Since I am a little tall, I had trouble seeing the needles when they moved into the operating range, so I twisted them around like Nascar drivers do /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif, so I can see where the needles are.

Attachments

• 49-141400-MVC-007S.JPG
    49-141400-MVC-007S.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 1,050
   / Adding Guages To your Yanmar #8  
Here is where I mounted the gauges.

Attachments

• 49-141434-Gauges1.jpg
    49-141434-Gauges1.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,278
   / Adding Guages To your Yanmar #9  
Here is the water sensor with metric adapter.

Attachments

• 49-141435-WaterTempSensoronWaterPump.jpg
    49-141435-WaterTempSensoronWaterPump.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 1,192
   / Adding Guages To your Yanmar #10  
....and last, the oil pressure Tee fitting.

Attachments

• 49-141436-OilPressureTee.jpg
    49-141436-OilPressureTee.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,204