Where is this leak coming from?

/ Where is this leak coming from? #1  

queen of spades

Silver Member
I noticed a small drip under the back end of my 1601d a couple months ago but couldn't find where it was coming from. Now that I've used the tractor a bit more (and used it in dusty conditions last weekend) I have a better idea, but I am still not completely sure. The leak is definitely worse now.

By looking at these pictures can anyone tell where this leak is likely coming from?

where it's leaking on my trailer (it stays on here all the time except when I'm using)
S6301362.jpg

from the back looking down at the tow hitch
S6301361.jpg

the 4wd shaft - this black thing leaks a little, but this is different from the leak in the back. the oil does not run all the way down along the length of the drive shaft. It's only damp around the rubber seal here:
S6301355.jpg

another:
S6301359.jpg

ok the next few were taken up under the tractor looking up at the left side of the rear end (axle?). they were taken from the middle of the tractor looking back.
S6301356.jpg

S6301363.jpg

this is also the left side, but looking forward from the rear
S6301357.jpg

here is the right side for comparison
S6301358.jpg

The tractor is still under warranty but the dealer needs to know where the leak is coming from before they will do anything (I live 4 hours away from them, so it's not practical to just load up and drive 8 hours round trip). They kindly offered to let someone local work on it if I can find out where this leak is coming from. I don't have heavy equipment or jacks to take apart a rear end.
I know there are two, the drive shaft seal (the first two pics) is clear, but the leak in the back is giving me fits.

Thanks for any help.
:)

/ Where is this leak coming from? #2  
The only thing I can suggest is to take brake cleaner(it will also eat the paint off) and spray/clean the underside of the tractor in that area good and then use the tractor until the fluid gets warm/hot and then park it over a piece of cardboard and see where it drips from . You may just have a small drip and when pulling the tractor on the trailer the wind is blowing the fluid back up on the bottom and not letting you see where the true leak is coming from. I have done this before and it works pretty good.

Bill

/ Where is this leak coming from? #3  
WD-40 will clean the underside of the tractor without damaging the paint.

/ Where is this leak coming from? #4  
It's a leak and it's under warranty. Why does he/she need you to tell them where it's comming from.:rolleyes: The dealer just needs to make the repair under the warranty no matter where it's comming from

/ Where is this leak coming from?
It's a leak and it's under warranty. Why does he/she need you to tell them where it's comming from.:rolleyes: The dealer just needs to make the repair under the warranty no matter where it's comming from

They are 4 hours away - so two 8 hour trips for a little leak is what I'm hoping to avoid. :)

/ Where is this leak coming from? #6  
I see oil around that drain plug ?. But, It's hard to tell without looking under the tractor & watching for the drip

/ Where is this leak coming from?
It almost looks like the leak is where those two pieces join (see attached).

Attachments

• S6301363e.jpg
    S6301363e.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 197
   / Where is this leak coming from? #8  
You might try checking the torque on those bolts. If that is where the leak is they may not be torqued evenly. Of course leaks are extremely difficult to pinpoint. Another thing to try is to clean it good and put some dye in the fluid and see if that helps you find the leak.

/ Where is this leak coming from? #9  
It almost looks like the leak is where those two pieces join (see attached).

That looks like where the rear axle housing meets the transmission / rearend. I had a small leak there once. Not a difficult repair. I drained the hyd. fluid,loosened all the bolts, seprated the axle housing from the trans. just enough to clean the area real good. I then applied high temp. silicone let set for about 1 hr . Reinstalled the bolts tightened everything up. No more leak

/ Where is this leak coming from? #10  
I agree that cleaning it up and running it good will help you pin-point the leak. I prefer to use brake clean when I am on a leak hunting mission. I would also like to add; one solid rule of thumb is oil tends to leak down. So look at or above the highest point you see oil. The only time you will see oil above the leak is if it is being blown around.

Most of the pictures are taken below the point where I would look for the leak.

Good Luck,
Doug