Excessive play in front end

/ Excessive play in front end #1  

buppy69

Platinum Member
Tractor
Hinomoto E2804, Hinomoto N239,
I have a 1500d and the play I'm getting is in the outboard gearboxes where the spindle goes through the housing. Is the spindle wore out or the housing or both? How do I correct this? The front wheels are spraddled out at the bottom.

Eugene

/ Excessive play in front end #2  
Well that's a good question, I'm just finishing a complete rebuild on a very neglected front axle of a 226D that I recently purchased. I found on mine that the spindle shaft is some very hard material, and as a result it enlongated the hole in the bottom housing. I took mine to a machine shop and had them enlarge the hole and put in a bushing. Make sure that they put in a very thin bushing, as the main trustwasher that caries half the load on the front end rides on this part of the housing and you want to leave enough material there for it to rest on. If you get a chance to take it all apart go ahead it is a pretty interesting set up. there are lots of parts and pieces in there, along with a dozen shims, complicated set up, but when you get it all together just right(after a few tries) it works beatifully. maximum play of shaft in housing no more then 0.02 MM or 0.008 Inch per YM manual .

/ Excessive play in front end #3  
There are shims on the spindle I believe that can be added/removed to eliminate it. A manual would show you how and where, or someone else here can tell you exactly.

/ Excessive play in front end #4  
Eugene,
The damage may not be as bad as you think. As was said, the axle shaft is very hard. It is likely that the bearings are either broken, or at least very badly worn. Hopefully the seal took the worst of the damage, and the housing is ok. You may have other bearings and seals damaged as well. Before you disassemble, check where the pivot shaft goes into the housing. Move the steering wheel back and forth while you watch where the left side pivot shaft goes through the top of the housing. If it moves front to back while you move the steering wheel, then these bearings and seals need to be replaces as well.

Greg

/ Excessive play in front end
I've already had it apart and put it bact together twice. There are no bearings on the spindle. That's what I thought the problem was before disassembly so I thought it was an easy fix. Just replace the bearings but there are none.

Eugene

/ Excessive play in front end #6  
NO SPINDLE BEARINGS!!! That is really surprising. What is in there? There has to be bearings, bushings or something to take the load on the spindles. I'll see if I can get a YM1500D parts manual and take a look.

Greg

It looks like there is a bushing in the top hole of the upper housing. This is the only contact point on the spindle.

Eugene

/ Excessive play in front end #8  
Buppy, are you sure? Yanmar made several variations on that steering spindle, but all of them had a bearing - usually at the top where the spindle goes through the top of the casting. Got to have one somewhere because the whole weight of the tractor is on that joint. Without a bearing it would be real hard to steer. Has anyone got an expoded view of the 1500D??

I'm not sure of anything. The view shows a nut, lock washer and flat washer on the end of the spindle but nothing else I can see. Am I missing something?

Eugene

/ Excessive play in front end #10  
There a 2 versions of the YM1500 front hub. One has bearings. The other has a bushing like the YM1300 ( I think). I'll check the parts book and see. Eugene, how are the 2 needle bearings that ride on the shaft?

Thanks,
Bruce