powersteering

/ powersteering #1  

Anonymous Poster

hello gentelman, have a powersteering on a 226 that has a leak. Does anybody know how the actual valve body comes appart? Have the cylinder apart with the piston etc but I can't figure out how the valvebody itself come appart there must be some kind of trick to take the actuator/valve sleeve out to get to the o-rings in the valvebody. Yanmar shows it as one assembly with no further break down. Does anybody know of a seal kit for the actuator valve or the whole actuator? Does anybody overhaul these? Anybody have any old stock? your help is appreciated. Actuator is made by Modular controls, p/n psc 2117B-15.0-5
thanks Pete

/ powersteering #2  
Pete, maybe someone can come to your aid sooner, but I do have some literature I can scan this next weekend on how this is done. So at least we have a fall back position. Of course I have to confess that although I have an exploded diagram, I never have rebuilt one of those power steering cylinders. So everything I think I know about them is heresay. I think that they are similar to the JD ones on the 650 through 1050 tractors. Another thing I have heard that they were known to have problems with leaking....particularly if they ever got out of adjustment and nicked a seal.
But this is all speculation. Like I said, I've never done one.

/ powersteering
Hey Roger, thanks for your response,
I have a parts brake down of the cylinder assembly from Yanmar, but it does not show any further brakedown of the valve assembly, it shows it as one part. I know that there must be o-rings etc. in there to make it seal on the sliding valve, I just can't figure out how to get it appart.There must be somebody out there that has repaired one and knows what the trick is. Problem with the whole powresteering is that, other then the normal o-rings, parts are no longer available. Does anyone know of a direct replacement actuator, if it comes that far?
once again, thanks for your input
Pete

/ powersteering
Well we figured it out. talked to an old time YM dealer and he gave me the loaddown on how to take the actuator valve appart. Inside the valvehousing(part of the actuator that points toward the front of the tractor) is a sliding piston with 2 holes in it that rotates freely. After inserting 2 thin bolts(I used 2 allenwrenches3/16) and rotating the piston to line up just right with the valve body, you can insert your bolts another 1/4 inch, into the actual valve and then screw the whole mess right out, works pretty slick once you know how:)
There are about half a dozen o-rings in there and most of them look pretty worn, I'm hoping that replacing them will do the trick. Next problem will be finding o-rings, seems like most parts for powersteering are hard to find anymore. dealer is checking into to see if YM makes a sealkit for the valve. I' must say, that working on various parts of this tractor ,front axle, powersteering and I split the tractor , YM makes one heck of a tractor, everything I have seen so far is rugged, heavy duty, and just very well build and designed (exept maybe the front axle, you would have thought they could have done that a little simpler, but hey, it does work very well once you have it right)
Thanks Pete