PTO Seal Replacement

/ PTO Seal Replacement #1  

allenp

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2910
I will soon be replacing the PTO seal on my YM1700 and would appreciate any tips from those who have already been down this path. I have the IT service manual and parts list and it appears that I have to remove 4 bolts and two nuts in order to remove the rear cover - and- remove the snap ring from the shaft seal.

Does the entire PTO gear cluster come out with the cover? Any potential issues that would be helpful to know upfront? Is there an easier way?

Thanks!

Allen

/ PTO Seal Replacement #2  
Allen, there is a snap-ring in housing around pto shaft that holds seal in place. Remove it and you can pry old seal out and install new one. Unless you drain fluid down before removing old seal,quite a lot will drain out when you pull seal out. Jacking rear of tractor up as high as possible will help.

/ PTO Seal Replacement
Tbrad - I took your advice and pryed out the old seal. Now for one more question, just how far do you press the seal in the housing - until it stops or until it just clears the snap ring groove? The original seal was flush with the snap ring, however, there is enought space to push it a few mm's closer to the bearing.

I have a section of plastic pipe that is slightly smaller than the OD of the seal so installation should be a breeze.

Thanks in advance!

Allen

/ PTO Seal Replacement #4  
Allen, check the condition of shaft where old seal was.If there is no visible wear, you can put new seal back in same spot. But if you can see or feel a groove worn where old seal ran on shaft,then tap new seal a little deeper to give it a smooth surface to run on. Install snap ring, check oil level and you're done.
Tom

/ PTO Seal Replacement
Tbrad - Thanks for the tip. There are no visible grooves in the shaft so I will try to position the seal close to the snap ring. Thanks again - Allen