Tractor Sizing Understanding Tire Size

/ Understanding Tire Size #1  

NMYAN

I have read the other posts concerning driveline twist when changing to turf tires. I have found some tires advertised on the net with various tread paterns. I have 12" rims on the front and 16" rims on the back on my 1401d, what size tires have others used on their machines to avoid driveline problems. Could anyone tell me the brand and sizes they used? When reading tire sizes such as 25/8-12, does this mean 25" tall by 8" wide by 12" rim size? Anyone know why one could not use ATV tires on the front of their tractor as that is the kind of tire that this size designation came from? Made by Carlisle. It seems the back tires in 16" size will not be hard to find because so many 4x4 truck tires are made for this size rim, however getting the right tire for the front to keep the ratio in check will be much more difficult.

/ Understanding Tire Size #2  
Nmyan, my dealer uses 16" six lug Chevy rims when he installs turf tires on his Yanmars. He said just make sure the diameter is equivalent to the the originals. I also have 12" rims on the front of my F16D....5x12 as a matter of fact. If this is the size on your 1401D that is a standard size tire that is easy to get.....Would like to put R4 industrials on my F.......Good luck.

/ Understanding Tire Size #3  
IS THERE A DIFFERANCE IN THE HEIGHT MEASUREMENT BETWEEN THE RICE TIRES AND TURF TIRES? THAT IS TO SAY DO YOU MEASURE FROM TOI TO TIP OF THE PADDLES?

REDDOGG.XJ

/ Understanding Tire Size #4  
reddogg,
for 4x4 tractors, the important thing is to maintain close to same ratio of front to rear loaded radius. A little bit of difference is not a real problem. If you are interested in changing the tires on your YM1110D, the best inexpensive matches I have found are 20.5-8x10 (standard boat tire and wheel combination - even has the 4 on 4 bolt pattern) for front, and 235-75R15 for rear. This would require different wheels as the originals are 7-14, but a local ag tire dealer told me 15" rims for rear of my YM1110D are about $40 each. Get the tires used, and its a very reasonable way to go.

Greg

/ Understanding Tire Size #5  
GBIRKY,
THANKS FOR THE INFO. IF I WAS TO PICK UP SOME USED RIMS THEN IT WOULD BECOME VARY RESONABLE.

THANKS,
REDDOGG.XJ