F215 hydraulic pump problems

/ F215 hydraulic pump problems #1  

DarinRay

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 JD 4310 300CX 72MM, dozers, excavtors, bachoes, loader, tractors.
Hello All,

I need some help with my F215 that I have. The problem is that when you start the tractor it sounds like the pump is cavitating and the 3 pt hitch is slow and jerky. BUT if I use the tilting cylinder on the 3 pt the pump noise goes away and 3pt hitch moves quicker and no jerky on the tilting cylinder. ?????? If it was the pump it would do it all the time yes? I've siliconed the suction side of the pump thinking that the oring could be bad but no change. When i changed the oil and filter when first running the machine there is no noise or jerky motion on the 3 pt. If it was in the 3pt hitch valving wouldn't it do it all the time? Boy I am confused. :) I've cleaned teh suction strainer 3 times just in case and the last 2 times there wasn't hardly anything on there. The first time it was slimy grey non metallic fillings. maybe pump material??? What do you guys think the next steps are?

Darin

/ F215 hydraulic pump problems #2  
I do not know Yanmar pumps at all, but in general I have this question. Did you recently replace or add to the fluid just before the problem started? The reason I ask is there are hydraulic systems out there that are sensitive to too much fuild and it'll get airated.

Just a thought.

/ F215 hydraulic pump problems
No I actually started playing around with it when it started acting up. I've tried more oil but not less. hmmmm. I know actually when I was on the back hill that is very steep there was a mound that took me steeper and the noise stopped for a bit.

Darin

/ F215 hydraulic pump problems #4  
My 4220D has the same problem. It started with the suction screen stopped up with slimy green gray material with just a speck or two of metallic particles. I changed the oil and cleaned the screen 3 times and the last time it was clean. The first two times it came out with green slim and black goo completely covering the screen. The filters were also changed out 3 times. THe pump makes no excess noise, but the 3 PH hesitates to lift then lifts really slow. The FEL jerks as it comes slowly up. It will eventually pick up a fair load, but it is very slow and erratic. I am thinking that if must be the pump somehow. Can anyone who has had this problem and determined a fix please help us out. I priced a pump and it is $400 so I would like to avoid that cost unless that is the real culprit. Everything worked perfect till the strainer stopped up the first time.
It does seem to work a little better as it gets up to running temperature, but still has a jerky action.

Another thing I was wondering is if anyone has had trouble with the hydraulic filter mount internals? The check valve is good if you want to change the filter without draining the system but maybe that is giving the restriction. ?????

When my pump noise stops when I use the tilting cylinder on the 3pt maybe that is telling me that when not in use the return path through the valve is block. hmmmmmmmm. I sure don't want to spend the $400 for a pump and then find that it wasn't that. :)

Come on hydraulic or tractor guys we need your brains.

Darin

/ F215 hydraulic pump problems #6  
Does this sound reasonable (not totally understanding the circuit in this case). When the 3pt is not being operated, there should be a open path from the pump back to the tank. When a loader is added, that path is diverted through the loaders controls, then through the 3pt controls, then back to tank. If there is a restriction in any of the controls (3pt or loader), that would make the pump work harder and you'd hear it. If you were operating the loader and the noise went away, that may be because you've opened up a slightly better path to tank, through the cylinder (in essence). The 3pt would even work better in that case since the loader controls were not blocking the path any longer. Can you check system pressure when controls are not being operated? If there is high pressure, then you have a restriction somewhere (probably loader controls).

P.S. Flow could actually go through 3pt first, then to outside devices, but the problem would still be the same.

/ F215 hydraulic pump problems #7  
Hello All,

I need some help with my F215 that I have. The problem is that when you start the tractor it sounds like the pump is cavitating and the 3 pt hitch is slow and jerky. BUT if I use the tilting cylinder on the 3 pt the pump noise goes away and 3pt hitch moves quicker and no jerky on the tilting cylinder. ?????? If it was the pump it would do it all the time yes? I've siliconed the suction side of the pump thinking that the oring could be bad but no change. When i changed the oil and filter when first running the machine there is no noise or jerky motion on the 3 pt. If it was in the 3pt hitch valving wouldn't it do it all the time? Boy I am confused. :) I've cleaned teh suction strainer 3 times just in case and the last 2 times there wasn't hardly anything on there. The first time it was slimy grey non metallic fillings. maybe pump material??? What do you guys think the next steps are?

Darin

When you replaced the spin on filter which model and # did you use? What is the temp in your area? Which oil did you use in the trans?

Buck

On my tractor when I start the girl it always makes a cavitating noise unless I use the rear tilting cylinder (top and tilt) on the 3 point hitch then it goes away. When I stop that movement the noise comes back. I have not swapped anything because it does this when the tractor just runs. Not sure what to think. :)

Darin

Could you perhaps explain what is happening again? Is there an issue (noise or otherwise) when using just one function. Did you try anything, like swapping the two functions (tip versus lift)? Explain it again slowely.

/ F215 hydraulic pump problems #9  
Another thing I was wondering is if anyone has had trouble with the hydraulic filter mount internals? The check valve is good if you want to change the filter without draining the system but maybe that is giving the restriction. ?????

When my pump noise stops when I use the tilting cylinder on the 3pt maybe that is telling me that when not in use the return path through the valve is block. hmmmmmmmm. I sure don't want to spend the $400 for a pump and then find that it wasn't that. :)

Come on hydraulic or tractor guys we need your brains.

Darin

Using the OEM filter or an aftermarket filter?

Danny

When you replaced the spin on filter which model and # did you use? What is the temp in your area? Which oil did you use in the trans?

Buck

The first time I changed it I used a NAPA cross over number but am not sure what it was. After this change the unit didn't make a noise and everything worked SMOOTH for about 15 mins. Then the sound came back and jerky motion. So then I order it from Hoye Tractor and this is where we sit now with their filter. I used the Napa equivalent in the green and yellow 5 gal. The right oil was listed on this Napa oil. Keep in mind that this happened in the Spring, Summer, Fall, and now Winter. :) I don't hardly use this tractor and that's why it's happen through out the year.

I am wondering if when the suction strainer in the tranny area clogged up maybe this starved the pump for too long and did internal damage. Oh wait it was good right after a change of filter. Oh man it's a circle. :(

Darin