Smoking Starter

/ Smoking Starter #1  

jeffscoggins

Tractor
Melroe 610
Any idea why my starter smokes after only a few cranks, like maybe 3 or 4 seconds? It can't possibly be overworked that quickly can it? Or maybe it can be since the oil is very cold? It doesn't sound wrong, it just smokes.

/ Smoking Starter #2  
An old electrician once told me that all electric motors when they were made were filled with smoke. When you let all the smoke out, the motor will go bad. If you keep letting that smoke out, you will soon have to replace the starter if it hasnt already been damaged past the point of repair. Better find out what is causing the overload. I would take it off and take it to a motor repair shop and have them refurbish it.

/ Smoking Starter #3  
Did you check all the electrical connections including the ground. Grounding should be to the frame, check that it is bolted tightly. If the smoke is coming from the moter interior, you have a faulty winding and needs to be changed or rebuilt. If everything else is working right, a good electric motor shop should be able to rebuid it for a fair price.

/ Smoking Starter #4  
You might improve the situation by blowing out the internals with compressed air. If the brushes are hanging up & not making good contact it'll overheat until it fails completely. Also relieving as much load as possible helps, clutch in as opposed to neutral with clutch out, pto off, etc. in tractors without safety over rides. MikeD74T

/ Smoking Starter #5  
Smoke goes into a lot of things: TVs, cars, computers, houses and even cities. I actually met Smoke a few times at race tracks (Kentucky, Michigan, Las Vegas, etc). Not sure how he got in your starter. Oil drip maybe?

/ Smoking Starter #6  
Your starter may have an internal short. Do you have any way todo an amp draw test on it? Does the starter get hot?

Gary is correct. Anything electrical is powered by smoke. The smoke is installed at the factory and is not available for purchase thanks to the EPA. Once you let the smoke out of an electrical device, it's no good.

/ Smoking Starter
Well, if it has an internal short, maybe that is why my battery keeps draining. I'll try blowing it out with air and if that doesn't help I'll pull it and tear into it. I love the factory installed smoke thought. It's an idea I won't forget!

/ Smoking Starter
I think the ground tip may have done it. I removed the tab connector going to the solenoid and found it wasn't secured all that well. Installed a new one and voila! no smoke! Many thanks, Gary!