Trouble with lift arms (1401D)

/ Trouble with lift arms (1401D) #1  

jrbowhuntr

I just changed out the hydraulic fluid and cleaned the fliter, the arms lift better but i still have trouble lifting my bush hogg. All the other stuff lifts fine. ( harrows, box blade, plows) The BH is 4' but is a old (late 70's) modle, this thing is heavy.
The lift just bounchs up and down, i can make it stay up but if i hit a bump it will not hold the BH up in the air.
Do i need to rebuild the pump or try to get a lighter BH.
Thanks for your time......jrbowhuntr

/ Trouble with lift arms (1401D) #2  
mabe just too heavy. Rule of thumb is 5 PTO hp per every ft. of cutter. 4 ft. cutter 20 pto hp. I don't know the lift cap. of you'er 1401. But' that's alot of weight bouncing on the tail end of that small tractor

Last edited:
   / Trouble with lift arms (1401D)
Ok, thanks for the info. the Yanmar site says that a 1401 is a 16 HP tractor

/ Trouble with lift arms (1401D) #4  
Ok, thanks for the info. the Yanmar site says that a 1401 is a 16 HP tractor

I think that would be engine hp. Around 14 PTO HP. My info ( if it's correct) list 18 hp. Again I think that would be 16 or 18 engine hp about 3-4 HP less AT the PTO

Last edited:
   / Trouble with lift arms (1401D) #5  
Hoye Tractor under Tech Info what size mower.4hp. per. Ft. though it doesn't state engine Hp.or Pto Hp. I believe it's engine. I don't think that I have seen a smaller cutting with of 4ft. but the wieght May be an issue.I could not find any specs. on a 4ft bush hog but did find that the RZ60R 5ft wieghs 450lbs. 25-35 Hp.Pto I believe that is the economy model and is lighter than the sqealer model close to what you have.No matter what formula you use you are still maxed out on the tractor.I use a GM1060R and it weighs 600lbs my tractor is rated 20hp.pto the way I can tell if I need Trans. fluid change is it gets jumpy when I go to lift it still will go up but it's happend twice.Not hard to get a good thrill in high gear either.Does it have problems with other attachments that are lighter? If not I think I would look for a lighter mower.

/ Trouble with lift arms (1401D) #6  
When you hit a bump and the bush hog falls down, does it make any noise?

I have a small Howse bush hog (I'm guessing its 36", not positive). When I hit a bump I will get a squeal and the bush hog will drop slightly. I have a feeling that squeal is the relief valve, and its out of adjustment.

/ Trouble with lift arms (1401D)
No, No sounds, just want hold. I think that it is just to heavy for the tractor. Ever thing else i have is fine.