Oil & Fuel Priming fuel on 2200

/ Priming fuel on 2200 #1  

6011Artist

Gold Member
Tractor
1957 Ferguson 35, 1977? Yanmar 2200, 1963 Cub Cadet Original
I changed the fuel filter today and forgot to turn the fuel back on. Tractor started back up ok after changing but due to fuel being off it quit running. I then went back to filter, unscrewed bowl and let it run out everywhere to fill bowl/filter allowing it to run while tightening, pulled line from tank to pump at pump to flush all air out and started cranking with one line loosened at the injector, (where line goes into side of motor). I have been cranking for 30 min loosening one and then going to the other. The front line is starting to drip but not even a drip from the rear line. I have repeated all these steps several times and it still won't prime. What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something that I need to be doing to a Yanmar that is not common on other diesel engines. I have primed Cummings engines, Cats, Detroits, 4 cyl diesel pickups and refrigeration units before but this one won't seem to get started.

I need help!

/ Priming fuel on 2200 #2  
I am not familiar with the 2200, but on my 1510 there are small screws which will allow gravity bleeding through the pump. 2 are located before and after the filter, then one is on the pump. My guess in your situation is that the pump itself is not free of air. Look around on the top/front of the pump for a bleeder screw.

I have attached a picture of the part manual for a 1700, which I believe is best that I can get to for 2200. The pump bleed screw is #26.

Mike

Attachments

• YM Fuel system.jpg
    YM Fuel system.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 1,071
   / Priming fuel on 2200
Thanks MJ, your diagram is exactly like my pump and your answer makes a lot of sense about air still in pump. Will try this tomorrow.

/ Priming fuel on 2200 #4  
small screws which will allow gravity bleeding through the pump. 2 are located before and after the filter, then one is on the pump.
I'll add: bleed downhill. First the filter's screw nearest the fuel tank, then the one near the output side of the filter, then finally the one on the pump inlet. Each should pass pure fuel, no bubbles, before closing it and going to the next. I read this here and it has always worked for me.

The old timers also said you never need to loosen the lines on the high pressure side of the pump and that has been my experience.

/ Priming fuel on 2200 #5  
Also since you have the injector loose I would leave them loose so you will have a visual for fuel.As stated before you should not have to loosen them in the future when bleeding.Use your decompression and only crank for approx. 10 sec. it will be easier on the starter.You should see the fuel after 2 or 3 intervals.If not go back and repeat the low pressure side.

I seen your reply on your lift great to hear you got it going.Look at the bright side you are well versed on the Hyd. system now.

/ Priming fuel on 2200
Yes Carey, I did get an education on the hydraulics. It seems there were two different systems used. I think that was why I was not getting good feedback. But I got it. Thats what counts. I would still like to have a breakdown of that valve to copy in case I ever need to take it apart fully if anyone has one. I guess I need to research and see what other tractors used the same one since the 2200 has very little info available. The diagram for the fuel injector pump that MJ posted (thanks MJ) for the 1700 is exact to my 2200.

Its still 30 degrees outside so I haven't made it out to bleed pump yet but I am quite sure with the info posted here it will be smooth and easy. Thanks guys!

Bleed pump and repack wheelbearings and I will have it ready to roll.

/ Priming fuel on 2200 #7  
Nie ma za co!! You are very welcome, but the pic is compliments of Hoye Tractor. I am glad that I could be of help. California is exactly right though that the order is important. have fun!! He does not have one on the 2200 interactive yet.

Mike

/ Priming fuel on 2200
Mike, I followed your directions and it started so easy you wouldn't think it needed priming. Thanks a bunch dude!. It did run a little rough until it got all the air out of the high side lines but started almost instantly.

/ Priming fuel on 2200 #9  
There you go. Job well done!! I just love a happy ending!!!:rolleyes::D

Mike

/ Priming fuel on 2200 #10  
On my F20D there are several "buttons" that appear to be air relief locations adjacent to the fuel filter. Is that what they are for? I had to prime my diesel and got it running just fine and ran it for about 45 minutes. However when I tried to restart it later it acted as if I had air in the line again. Think I still have air in the fuel pump?