Head gasket

/ Head gasket #1  

6thgpSF

Gold Member
Tractor
YM1610d bobcat 863 Gh 928d
I'm pretty good at doing my own repairs,that said I've got a head gasket coming and plan to change it on my 1610d.I've never done this before and wanted to get some input before I attempt this. I have a service manual for the 226D and I've been reading on it but on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being easy what would you rate this project.are there any other gaskets I'm going to need?also any special tools?I know I'll need a torque wrench as well as the various meteric wrenchs and sockets etc,any other tools etc.I plan on taking before pitcures to help me when I begin to put it back together also should I use new bolts. I've had a problem with the overflow bottle filling up,I've replaced all the hoses,belt and rad cap and thought I had the problem licked but like I said the bottle keeps filling up and I see bubbles so I'm down to head gasket and while i'm doing this I plan on getting the rad. coared.any input would be much appreciated. russ

/ Head gasket #2  
I would take the head to a machine shop while it is off to check for cracks and valve leakage. It would be nice if you could find an expirenced person to watch over your shoulder while doing the job. There are a lot of little things a person learns from expirenced mechanics as well as basic nut and bolt work. Wire wheeling bolt threads, chasing bolt holes, thread lubricant, torque pattern, checking for other tell tail signs of problems are all practices that come from expirence. There may be a book some where that lists all the thinigs to look at that someone else may take as a normal routine. Tear in and go for it. The next one will be easier.

Dan

/ Head gasket #3  
I'm pretty good at doing my own repairs,that said I've got a head gasket coming and plan to change it on my 1610d.I've never done this before and wanted to get some input before I attempt this. I have a service manual for the 226D and I've been reading on it but on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being easy what would you rate this project.are there any other gaskets I'm going to need?also any special tools?I know I'll need a torque wrench as well as the various meteric wrenchs and sockets etc,any other tools etc.I plan on taking before pitcures to help me when I begin to put it back together also should I use new bolts. I've had a problem with the overflow bottle filling up,I've replaced all the hoses,belt and rad cap and thought I had the problem licked but like I said the bottle keeps filling up and I see bubbles so I'm down to head gasket and while i'm doing this I plan on getting the rad. coared.any input would be much appreciated. russ

Maybe valve cover gasket,waterpump to head gasket, thermostat and gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, valve seals, rad cap (13lb), and unless I could get a real good deal on a recore, a new radiator, and if I pulled the injectors out I would replace the chamber gaskets and the insulators.

Danny

/ Head gasket #4  

I did this on my 1610D the summer before last. It's not a huge job and if you take your time you will do fine. You might want to look into getting a water pump and replace it as well. I had my head checked and rebuilt by a local machine shop. I would suggest having that done as well. I can't remember what it cost me to have it done but it was worth it. They resurfaced the face of the head and replaced all the valve spring and seals and of course checked it for cracks. I got lucky and had no cracks just a slight warpage which they where able to remove with the resurfacing. When you refill your coolant find a coolant that is made for use with a diesel. It will have an additive that helps prevent cavation and corrosion in the system that standard coolants do not have. You can also buy the additive and add it to some standard coolants.

If I can be of any help let me know.
Thanks

Box

/ Head gasket
Thanks Dan,Danny & Box I've got a brother that can back me up if I run into problems but I like that ojt.I learn alot on this forum and appreciate all the advice, will keep you posted.