Yanmar 1610D

/ Yanmar 1610D #1  

silverdollar6

Silver Member
Tractor
ym1610d
Something new happened yesterday, the tractor had been setting for a couple months so I went out to start it and and use it a little.
Well, it started just fine but after it warmed up I put it in gear and the right rear wheel would not turn, the left would turn but the right would drag, I rocked it back and forth a few times and it finally broke loose. first time it has happened, any suggestions?

/ Yanmar 1610D #3  
any suggestions?
Yes...don't use the brute power of the tractor to compensate for an obvious mechanical problem. It is possible that the brake was stuck and you did get it to release, but it is also possible it turned freely after your actions because you snapped the pinion that activates the differential lock. Once it is broken there is effectively no brake on that side either. Replacing that pinion is a costly and time consuming repair; removing the brake housing and cleaning up a stuck brake is a couple hours easy work at most, and nominal cost.

/ Yanmar 1610D
I did not know that a brake could stick if you do not use the brake.When I park it I just let stop by itself and do not set the brakes. How do I prevent this in the future?

/ Yanmar 1610D #5  
It seems like it is normally caused by the drum rusting & sticking to the brake shoe. Because of the way it is geared it does not take a lot of force to lock them. Be sure that your vent tube to the brake housing is open. Other than keeping condensation vented I don't know how you would prevent it. Maybe pull up on the peddle a little after you stop & be sure the brakes have the recommended free travel. It is not a really common issue.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ Yanmar 1610D
Bump.
Just for everyones information I stopped by a yanmar dealer in Selmer Tn and talked to a mechanic that has worked on yanmars and other tractors for about 40 years,
I explained my problem with the sticking brake and he asked me if the brake peddle returned to normal after depressing it. I told him that it did but only went down about two inches, He said that he didn`t think that I had to take it apart and that I should take it to a paved road and run it for about a half mile and to keep a little pressure on that brake peddle and that should clean it up.
Well I went home and tried it and it worked great. I have no more sticking problems.

/ Yanmar 1610D #7  
Silver I do the same thing, but I do it in reverse gear.
I dont know why but they release quicker in reverse.

Also to unstick the clutch, I put a mower on the pto shaft and gently put it into position #1, while I have the clutch pushed in, with the rpms at about 1500.
Seems to work pretty good, I have done around a dozen yanmars this way with no damage , they key is to do it ( gently ).

( DISCLAIMER ) .... If anyone else try's this method, Y.O.Y.O.............

/ Yanmar 1610D #8  
The problem were having with the 1610 is the lever on the right side that we think controls whether or not you have both wheels pulling or just one wheel pulling. We bought this tractor from a pawn shop and discovered that only one wheel was pulling when we tried to use a Box Blade. The lever on the right was wired down and when we removed the wire that held it down the tractor would not move. The previous owner took a lot of time to wire this thing down two small holes were drilled in the foot rest small size bailing wire was used. Wire came through one hole over the lever and back through the other hole we did not notice this at the time of purchase. I'm a European auto Mechanic and was concerned with how the tractor ran and if the PTO was working along with the range selector and the forward and reverse gears. All is good except this and this is major.

/ Yanmar 1610D #9  
Glad to see you here.& from Alabama.:thumbsup: Looks your going to have to see which gears are busted in the tranny