186D info sharing

/ 186D info sharing #1  

MDL

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
I am not new to this board but I am a new user. I figured this was a good time to share some of my experience with the YM186D that I picked up last fall.

This is a complete Yanmar tractor loader backhoe unit with 200 hours on the meter but I would guess it has gone around once putting it at a more realistic 1,200 hours. As best I can tell this has always been a tractor loader backhoe. The loader is a Yanmar YFL-650 and the backhoe is a frame mounted Yanmar YBH-660. The tractor runs like a top, the loader seems OK too, but I decided to recondition the backhoe. The backhoe broke a swing cylinder gland at the chain pin lug due to age (clean break) and as with anything I do it seems I kept making more of a project than a simple fix. So, short of paint the backhoe is now like new with repacked rams, new hoses throughout, one new control stick valve, both swing cylinder glands are new, and so on.

I'll post a few old pictures for now and take some new ones shortly.

Attachments

• 49-154116-Dscf0002.jpg
    49-154116-Dscf0002.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 266
   / 186D info sharing
I'll add that any 180/186/187 feedback would be great. I'd like to learn about what other owners have experienced for failures, likes, dislikes, compatable attachments, etc.

I'd also like to hear from YFL-650 loader and YBH-660 backhoe owners.

My only dislike about this unit is that the loader frame and the mid-mount-mowers were not compatable. Meaning that the loader frame and mower frames could not co-reside. That's what I understand anyway, I have no mower experience other than collecting part information.

So far I love the quiet and efficient 3 cylinder diesel, the powershift, overall features, and it's compact size.
I am anxious to get the backhoe into use after the repairs are complete next week. I plan on working on a drainage ditch, moving some rocks, stumping, and other digging work with the backhoe. This backhoe is a true quick detach unit despite being a frame mounted rig so I get the best of both worlds (easy on/off and rugged mounting). It takes me about 5 minutes to remove or install with only one wrench used on the PTO pump lock screw.

The loader has already gotten a lot of use around the property carrying and moving yard waste, trash, rocks, firewood, and such.

/ 186D info sharing #3  
MDL,
I don't have YM186D or any of the other models you meantioned. But I do have a YM1301D which came from Japan with a loader. I have since mounted a YMM-45 45" midmount mower (original equipment on YM135, YM155, and YM155D) on it. It would have fit a YM1300D without modifications. The loader is a quick detach unit, and I did remove the part of the loader frame that ties back to the rear. I am having that part modified to coexist with the mower.

The mower is driven by an electric clutch on the front of the tractor. Unfortunately, the clutch mounts on the front of the bumper, and therefore interfers with part of the loader that ties the two arms together back of the bucket. I will have that brace moved forward a couple of inches to give me the clearance I need.

In summary, mounting a belly mower is possible, though not simple. In the end, I'll have a very nice tractor with loader, tiller, and belly mower - for a very reasonable price. Once I get all of it together, I'll take some digital photos and post them.

Good luck.

Greg

/ 186D info sharing #4  
I have some threads already posted on my experiences with mine. I would love to have your setup.

I really need a bigger rig, and go back and forth on selling the 186D, but will keep it is at all possiblle

If I came accross the FEL or BH for the 186 I might be interested, though,

I am amazed at the engine, and really like the Powershift, too

Mine JUST rolled over to 1000 hours

/ 186D info sharing #5  
<font color=blue>I'd like to learn about what other owners have experienced for failures, likes, dislikes, compatable attachments, etc</font color=blue>

By all means, look at my thread on top link connecting plate failure. It isn't the end of the world, but if you can, get a new adapter plate fabricated like the one that RobF shows in his post before something breaks....

Make sure the protective shroud is in place over your FWD shaft. Mine wasn't and weeds wrapped around it, and destroyed the differential gasket, making a little job much bigger...

/ 186D info sharing #6  
Have a good fabricater build you two good ROPS, I don't mind you sending me one of them...

/ 186D info sharing #7  
Make it 3 ROPS...better yet, build 20 or 30, I will load up my flatbed and deliver!

/ 186D info sharing #8  
that's a great pic, I would love to see one in closer to see how it all works.

Where do you operate the BH from?

Good looking machine!

/ 186D info sharing #9  
From the picture, it looks like the tractor seat flips up out of the way and the BH seat flips down for operation.

/ 186D info sharing
Mike - I have thuroughly scoured this forum, the old Yahoo group, and the net in general for 186D info. I read your threads as well and I am seriously thinking about doing that top link reinforcement plate modification because I would hate to have what happened to your tractor happen to mine. Lucky for me though that mounting area is not being used on mine as the backhoe mounts on the frame.

Ozarker is correct. The tractor seat flips up and the nasty purple aftermarket replacement seat flips down. See the attached picture. I will get the tractor back next week and will be able to take any pictures you want but for now this one will have to do.

I was in western Massachusetts today and saw a YM187D tractor with a rear mower. I was in great shape and shows 386 hours. Looks like it's only mowed. Too bad there wasn't a "for sale" sign on it but then again I couldn't afford it. I guess my 186D loader and hoe frames wouldn't fit the longer 187D anyway.......or would they?

Attachments

• 49-154689-Dscf0001.jpg
    49-154689-Dscf0001.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 228