Buying Advice Looking for advice

/ Looking for advice #1  

hub

Tractor
None
We're looking for a good used compact tractor. I realize that sometimes you get what you pay for, I just don't want to pay for color. We're thinking only FEL and back hoe. This is not going to be a heavy operations machine. Uses will be barking, snow moving, landscape grading and earth moving, trenching for drainage, digging out some stumps, planting trees and bushes, turning a compost pile, moving material for retaining walls, grading for paths, backfilling along driveway, etc.

I like everything I see about hydrostatic transmissions considering that I think my wife and I could operate it easier than a manual transmission. Age of the tractor is not as important as how historically reliable it is. I know that each one is kinda a product of how well it has been maintained. I've looked at JD, Kubota, Cubs, New Holland, and lately Yanmar since I've discovered that Yanmar made the JD 955 which I've seen and kinda like. I do most of my own maintenance and rebuilding. Taking apart is easy, putting together is harder!

I'm posting this to the Yanmar forum because I'd like to hear what Yanmar model you fellows think would work for us. The reason I took a liking to the JD 955 is that it appears to have enough horsepower to handle both the FEL and back hoe rather easily under the conditions I'm going to be using them.

/ Looking for advice #2  
Don't make the mistake of thinking you can parts source a 955 through Yanmar just because they made it. The problem with all contract tractors (a tractor made by one company and marketed/supported by another company) is that eventually all business relationships end. That one was a long one, but right now the support for parts for the first series (650-750-850-950-1050) is getting weaker by the day. We have a number of JD dealers who buy parts from our system because SOME of the aftermarket parts for our grey Yanmars do have cross applications and apparently some they can no longer get through their own parts network.

We do show some 955 applications in our aftermarket parts book, but not nearly the comprehensive list we have for certain grey Yanmar models. Our JD aftermarket catalog is 43 pages while the Yanmar aftermarket parts catalog is 185 pages.

Hydrostat vs Powershift...hydro sucks a fair amount of HP, Powershift does not. Hydro has essentially an infinite range, Powershift will have 3 forward gears with 3-5 ranges available. Talk to as many people as you can who have used both, or at least the hydro. You will find a wide spectrum of opinions, with some folks loving the hydro. Personally I do not like hydro, partially for the HP consumption, but more just a matter of taste/choice....I just find it annoying more than helpful to have my speed change just because I moved my foot (I know newer units can be "set").

We've delivered a fair number of units to Michigan.

/ Looking for advice #3  
LMTC,
What would be a good Powershift model Yanmar that is close in size and HP to a 955. I think the 955 is what 30 HP? How would the 2210D compare? It's at 26 HP or so.

/ Looking for advice #4  
The 2210D is going to be heavier than the 955 by about 150#, and the rear lift on the 2210D is rated 143# more. The 955 lists as 2,000# and 33HP, but 27HP PTO. The 2210 has 26HP and 22HP at the pto. In fact, when you subtract whatever HP you want to assign for the hydro (I've heard figures from 5-9 HP lost), the 2210D probably has more HP to work with. Add to that the stock 11.2x16 rears on a 955 vs 9.2 x 24 on a 2210D and you've got a tire size advantage as well as a weight advantage, both of which contribute to working power.

I know the parts support for the 2210D is excellent. Since I first operated one I've thought it was the best value in the Yanmar line.

/ Looking for advice #5  
IMO. I like the 20 series. More weight plus the steering column mounted powershift control is great. A 2820D with power steering would be a good one. It is heavier than the 2210 but not much larger.

/ Looking for advice #6  
IMO. I like the 20 series. More weight plus the steering column mounted powershift control is great. A 2820D with power steering would be a good one. It is heavier than the 2210 but not much larger.
I guess that depends on how you define "not much". The 2210D is 110" long, the 2820D is 125", widths are 46" and 58", weights are 2194# and 3825#. I would say that is more than not much on all counts. And the 2820D is not even remotely close to the 955 which the original poster referenced.

Personally I don't like the column shift as well as the 10 series shift on top of the transmission, but that is simply personal preference. The 2820D is a sweet machine, but we see 50 nice 2210Ds to every one 2820D. There are very few available, and even fewer good ones. A 2820D/PS/160 loader would run about $3200-$3500 more than a 2210D, and would generally be a long wait.

/ Looking for advice #7  
Wayne ,, Just curious... What makes the 2820D weigh more than a 3110D ?? ( Larger axles etc, ) A little more than 2900 # for 3110D

/ Looking for advice #8  
Wayne ,, Just curious... What makes the 2820D weigh more than a 3110D ?? ( Larger axles etc, ) A little more than 2900 # for 3110D
More metal almost everywhere.