Oil & Fuel whats it for, was fuel filter leaking

/ whats it for, was fuel filter leaking #1  

gws

Platinum Member
Tractor
yanmar ym1810
Ok, I finally got around to pulling my fuel filter. It started leaking all of a sudden and I need to fix it.

Now the filter makes sense, but what is the top "hole' and hose for? The attached filter shows an inlet on the right, outlet on the left. The lower hole is used to attach the filter to the block. The upper hole is what is leaking, there is small hole that goes into the filter. The upper hole has a spring loaded assembly and a line comming out that appears to be an over flow of some sort since it went nowhere on my tractor.

Attachments

• 49-155086-small_filter.jpg
    49-155086-small_filter.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 109
   / whats it for, was fuel filter leaking #2  
The spring loaded plunger and the hose is the bleeder. When you put the new filter in and tighten the lock ring up you use the bleeder to get all the air out of the fuel filer assembly. the tractor wont start if there is any air on the supply side of the injector pump. There is probubly another one of those on top of the injector pump also. my guess on the leak is the plunger is stuck part way in.

/ whats it for, was fuel filter leaking #3  
Gary,there is supposed to be a plug in hole where the plunger is.It probably got loose and fell out,causing your fuel leak.You may be able to find a small freeze plug at an auto parts store that will fit. You should put some good epoxy,like JBWeld around edge of plug so you won't have this happen again.I don't know if this plug is available from Yanmar,but maybe some of the parts dealers that post here will know.

/ whats it for, was fuel filter leaking #4  
I saved my plug and tried to use silicone. No good. I ordered a new filter housing and it came without the fancy bleeder that leaks. It has the old type bleeder screws. $49 ouch.

/ whats it for, was fuel filter leaking
Tbrad,
Ok.. Thanks. Now that makes sense. I could see how the bleer line would work but not the other end. Ill have to see about capping it until my replacemnet top comes.
thanks.

/ whats it for, was fuel filter leaking
I put a high temp rubber plug in with a wire wrap to hold it in. That looks like it will work until I get my new unit arrives.

I was supprised at how easy it was to bleed the fuel line.
Connect everything backup, turn on fuel switch, Bleed the fuel filter, then go to the injectors and bleed there. Both had plunger type bleed values. Wasnt there suppose to be a third one? Where?