Tiller tines

/ Tiller tines #1  

HGM

Veteran Member
Tractor
YM2000
Hey guys,
I've about worn my Yanmar tines to the point that its become an aerator:rolleyes:.... Have you guys used the new replacement tines that are out there, like Hoye has on the website? They specificly state they are not forged and illude to weakness. I've been pretty hard on my tiller over the years and rugularly break virgin clay here in Georgia. I, evenly, installed 4 of the new tines that were given to me when I bought the tiller and broke them all by the 3rd pass in my garden that had already been broken up.. Is this an indicator of what I will be dealing with if I drop $180 on the whole set? or, Is this mainly because I didnt have the full set installed??

Any experience??

Has anyone used a different brand with luck?

Thanks,
Greg

/ Tiller tines #2  
There is no doubt that this new batch is MUCH better than previous years. We put that weakness warning up on our website after the old batch came out in '07 I think. We had a lot of complaints about those as I'm sure all of the other dealers here that sold them did. I have honestly not have a single complaint of a broken tine & have sold many thousand of them so far this year. They still do not wear as good as the original forged tines. Since the forged tines are no longer available they are much better than nothing though.

Is this mainly because I didnt have the full set installed??

I do know that if you had a few new tines mixed in with old tines the majority of the abuse would be on the longer/newer tines.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ Tiller tines
There is no doubt that this new batch is MUCH better than previous years. We put that weakness warning up on our website after the old batch came out in '07 I think. We had a lot of complaints about those as I'm sure all of the other dealers here that sold them did. I have honestly not have a single complaint of a broken tine & have sold many thousand of them so far this year. They still do not wear as good as the original forged tines. Since the forged tines are no longer available they are much better than nothing though.

I do know that if you had a few new tines mixed in with old tines the majority of the abuse would be on the longer/newer tines.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

Thanks Aaron,
I was going to send you an e-mail about them. I thought throw it out here first to see if there were any overwhelming opinions on replacing tines, or just trying to find another tiller for a little more.. You'll probably be hearing from me soon anyhow..
Thanks again,
Greg

/ Tiller tines #4  
Price around. Most of us are selling the same tines.

/ Tiller tines #5  
Aaron and Wayne, what is the story with no more OEM tines? Aren't they still using these tillers?

/ Tiller tines #6  
LOTS of parts are NA from the OEM anymore, and many of us have lost our OEM parts distributorships because when Yanmar approached us we were honest and told them we would not quit servicing/selling greys. We had ours pulled several years ago...and they had every right to do so with a 90 day (I think it was 90) notice, so I'm not fussing about what Yanmar did. However...it was/is my understanding that to keep the OEM parts distributorship one had to agree to have nothing further to do...parts,service, sales.....with the grey Yanmars. Not sure how it works for those who seem to be above that.

/ Tiller tines #7  
what is the story with no more OEM tines? Aren't they still using these tillers?

Several years ago we imported some from Japan. They were very expensive. I can't remember exactly how much but you could easily buy another used tiller or two for the price. They sat in our shop for over a year because no one could afford them. I think we finally ended up using them ourselves. My guess is that you could probably still import some but be prepared to spend way more for tines & shipping than you did your tiller.

Aaron
Parts@HoyeTractor.com
(940)592-0181

/ Tiller tines #8  
Your two posts are pretty much how I remember it in the past. So that explains it. Like I tell people, nothing is impossible , just impractical.

/ Tiller tines #9  
I have a Yanmar 1200 2-pt tiller with good original tines, right now anyway. But looking toward the future, I recall a post where someone had modified/re-drilled some US-styled tines, the L-shaped variety and adapted them to his Japanese tiller in place of the original curved type. Do you think this is an option? I guess alot depends on if the whole tine is hardened, or just the blade portion. Just a thought.