Backhoe Yanmar YBH-650 backhoe is a Woods 650!

/ Yanmar YBH-650 backhoe is a Woods 650! #1  

MDL

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Ok, the verdict is in and thanks to some more than generous help from "pfoxy" for xeroxing and mailing out a copy of the Woods 650 backhoe manual I have a conclusion.

Let me back up here and explain. I have a 186D tractor loader backhoe. The backhoe is a Yanmar YBH-650 frame mounted hoe. I know that for the most part Yanmar relabeled other manufacturers attachments. This backhoe says "Made in Canada" and not "Made in Japan". I had some folks tell me last year it was made by one of several companies but never was sure who. I wanted to understand the lineage of the backhoe design and also have an alternative source for parts.

Last year I happened to stumble across a John Deere tractor being serviced at a Kubota dealership which had a yellow Woods 650 backhoe attached to it. This hoe, in the short period of time I had to look it over, seemed to be the same hoe as the YBH-650.

Through TractorByNet I located "pfoxy" who has a Woods 650 hoe and we swapped some pictures to compare the two hoes. The only viewed difference is the sheetmetal around the twin-stick valves (the operator console). I imagine this could be due to the two hoes being from different years or more likely a way to set the two apart for marketing purposes. I compared the Woods and Yanmar manuals (Thanks again, Paul!!!) and not only do the hoes look identical (aside from the previously mentioned sheetmetal) but the manuals are almost identical in format, have the same drawings, and I realized the similarity in the model names. Yes, it was in front of my face all the time....Woods "BH-650" and Yanmar "YBH-650"....drop the "Y" and what do you get? Also, both the Yanmar and Woods manuals have two backhoes in them, a 6.5 foot reach model (the 650, 6.5/650) and a 7.5 foot reach model (the 750). I imagine the Yanmar YBH-750 is a Woods 750.

Ok, this was all probably known or assumed by most of you already but I thought I would share this with you just in case. If you can't find a Yanmar red backhoe for your tractor there is a good a chance you can find a Woods 650!

/ Yanmar YBH-650 backhoe is a Woods 650! #2  
<font color=blue>If you can't find a Yanmar red backhoe for your tractor there is a good a chance you can find a Woods 650! </font color=blue>

OK, the search is on....

Thanks for the info!

/ Yanmar YBH-650 backhoe is a Woods 650!
Re: Yanmar YBH-660 backhoe is a Woods 650!

Ok, I noticed I messed up the model name of the backhoe on this thread. It is a YBH-660 not 650.

Here are some specs:

reach below grade = 79.5"
reach from center of swing mast pivot point = 94"
working swing arc = 180 degrees
stabilizer spread = 56.5" - 75"

I'll take some pictures when it comes home today or tomorrow (if it doesn't rain) I will dig a hole with it and take an action shot.

/ Yanmar YBH-650 backhoe is a Woods 650! #4  

<font color=blue>I'll take some pictures when it comes home today</font color=blue>

Does it go play at a friend's house, or something?

"Does it go play at a friend's house, or something? "

As a matter of fact, yes! We let it out when its been good.

It has returned from the mechanic's now and is resting peacefully in the shed. Weather and time permitting I'll break it out tomorrow and dig a hole for kicks. Look out for some photos appearing here!

Anyone want some specific pictures?

/ Yanmar YBH-650 backhoe is a Woods 650! #6  

I think I have a picture of it from last year as you bought it. The various Yanmar backhoe derivations are still a mystery to me. Seems like I come upon a new one every time I turn around.
Take the YBH650 and YBH660 for instance...Are both of them like each other and therefore both like the Woods 650? I wonder what is the difference that makes one a YBH650 and the other a YBH660?

Scotty,

I slipped in a note about the YBH-650/660 above you missed. I wasn't properly caffinated that day when I wrote "YBH-650"......I have and only know of a "YBH-660" backhoe. The YBH-650 was a typographical error. Sorry to confuse, it happens I guess!

The pictures from last year are now out of date, the whole unit has been powerwashed, serviced, and much maintnenace has occured. The backhoe is now essentially new with the exception of paint and decals. No more snaggletooth on the bucket either, the four old teeth were cut off and replaced with three nice new complete shanks/teeth. I let an equipment operator test the backhoe. He had never used such a small hoe and was surprised the hoe scooped a full bucket without complaint. I think he thought it would dig part way in to the packed soil and have to be backed out and dug into again in order to loosen up the earth and get a full bucket.

Unfortunately it has been raining all morning so I have been unable to go play with it. I want to dig a test hole and see how well it works now.