Chains sway chains

/ sway chains #1  

ket

Bronze Member
Tractor
YM1802D
what is the proper amount of sway(side to side) motion that you should have on rear lift arms. I know the more you have the easier to install different attachments, my finish more has alot of side to side movement but I dont rub tires at all... should I ajust till I have little or no movement?

/ sway chains #2  
Having just purchased a 5' finish mower and hung it on my 1610d, after about a month I noticed that I had about 6'' to 8'' of sway, and I too did not hit my tires, however this is what I learned after I consulted a veteran tractor operator. The max amount you want in side to side sway is approximately 3'', as the lift arm pivots will suffer from excessive wear after a period of time. So, it does add another adjustment when you change implements, but it is best practice regarding the tractor.

HILLBILLYMAN

/ sway chains #3  
You can't adjust till there is no side to side sway or you will max out on up and down lift. There has to be a little side sway.

/ sway chains #4  
Let it sway a couple of inches. The exact amount isn't important as long as there is some slack. Don't let it sway so much that it hits the tires or slams against the stops or lets the PTO get way out of line.

/ sway chains #5  
I agree. Having operated 3 pt hitch equipment for many years on our farm, I would not allow more than 2-3 inches of sway. You always should consider that the straigher you keep you pto the less wear you are causing on the joints. Remember, with the sway and lifting that these joints must compensate for while delivering power to the mower through up and down and side to side movements. I know that they are designed to take some movement but to me why not do everything I can to make them last. I love to tinker but why not prevent unnecessary repairs.
Nick