loss of diff. lock

/ loss of diff. lock #1  

JimGoldsmith

Tractor
YM2402D
I was using the diff. lock on my 2402d while doing some blade work. I started to lose the rear wheel drive, but if I stepped on the diff. lock the rear wheel drive would come back. Take my foot off the diff. lock and the tractor stopped moving. Finally the rear wheel drive completely went out and it doesnt work anymore. The good part is the front wheel drive still works. Is the problem with the differential, transmission or something else. Any help would be great.
Jim
jgoldsmith@umpd.umd.edu

/ loss of diff. lock #2  
Hello,I have a ym1610 with the exact same symptoms and eventual problem. After tearing it apart we discovered it was one of the main gears that had snapped in two from the torque. Only way way to find out what your problem is.....dig in....if you pull the pto off you should be able to see in and diagnose the problem...Good LuckBrian

/ loss of diff. lock #3  
Which leads me to ask: How strong is the differential lock and are there certain situations or conditions that it shouldn't be used in? I'm kind of leary of using mine and tend to use 4wd instead. Any thoughts? Darrell
PS Good luck on your repairs

/ loss of diff. lock #4  
I am sorry to hear about this. Although the front wheel drive will get you home, it isn't really beefy enough for full time work.
Just a guess, but from what you say this does sound like bigger than usual repairs. You are going to have to take off enough plates to get a look at the differential and spider gears. It sure sounds like it is in there. The diff lock itself is not designed to be all that strong, It can hold all the torque the tractor can put out if it is engaged with the wheels stopped or barely moving. The owners manuals talk about how to do it. I step on the lever at stop and gradually let the clutch out until I feel the pedal sink, which driving the locking pins home. Constant torque will then keepit engaged or you can just keep pressure on the diff lock till you are clear of the need for it. Disengagement is automatic when you take your foot off of the pedal and slow down. Any faster than a crawl and the diff lock pins can be snapped. Where those broken pin pieces end up has a big effect on the ultimate repairs.

/ loss of diff. lock #5  
I agree with Roger. I've heard of people stepping on the lock while moving, and it may work OK, but I like the idea of engaging while at rest and then starting off slowly.

BTW--Never turn with the lock engaged. The inside wheel cannot slip and things will break!!!

--BB