/ 1401 #1  

professor

Gold Member
Tractor
Allis Chalmers 416S John Deere LX280, John Deere Z225 zero turn yanmar 1401 , Oliver 550 Special, Oliver 75 Lawn Tractor, New Holland 3930 4WD, Mitsubishi BDF2 Dozer
I was servicing my 1401 Monday and before changing oil I let the tractor run until warm. As the oil was draining I checked the radiator coolant. When I opened the cap I noticed foam. The coolant was clear with no oil and the oil did not have coolant in it. I saw no bubbles but when the tractor is running you can see the coolant circulating in the radiatir which I assume is because of the water pump. The tractor runs good but I have never seen the coolant foam in this tractor. There is no over flow in the recovery container. Do you think I have problems with the head? Thanks for any information you can give me.

/ 1401 #2  
Since no one responded I will take a stab. I don't know anything about thje 1401. They must not be a lot of them around. I would just flush the cooling and put in fresh antifreeze and see if the problem goes away. I am surprised that it has a water pump though. I would think it is a thermo-syphon system.

Having said all of that if there is no water in oil or vice versa and it is not overheating I would just I would just put her to work and keep an eye on it.

/ 1401 #3  
Same basic engine as YM186 . Distilled water= 60%: Antifreeze=40%. Manual says not to exceed 40% antifreeze in warmer weather or you'll overheat.