PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller

/ PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller #1  

mikereid

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM1700
Has anyone put a slip clutch on a RS1400 Yanmar tiller? I am looking at the one at Tractor Supply, an was just wondering if it will fit. It looks like it might be tight.

Thanks,

Mike

/ PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller #2  
i don't think you need a slip clutch for a tiller.

/ PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller
New tillers come with them. I just do not want to mess up my tractor, I am too attached to it now. I am going to till up 2 more plots in my yard this weekend.

Mike

/ PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller #4  
The factory tiller shafts are normally very short. You may need to get some longer lift arms to make it work. I really think the shape of the tines & the direction they rotate will prevent any serious damage though. They tend to climb over any stumps or big rocks.

Aaron
Contact Us
(940)592-0181

/ PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller #5  
The factory tiller shafts are normally very short. You may need to get some longer lift arms to make it work. I really think the shape of the tines & the direction they rotate will prevent any serious damage though. They tend to climb over any stumps or big rocks.

Aaron
Contact Us
(940)592-0181

^^ +1 on what Aaron said. I have a Yanmar 1202 tilller and with the forward curved, backward rotating blades as they are, they just ride up on obstacles. I just tilled a neighbor's big garden two days ago and didn't see a heavy (3/8") braided cable partially buried. The tiller bounced some but just rode right over it. A US-style "L" shaped tine would have pulled that sucker right up out of the ground and maybe stop the tiller cold, with possible damage to tiller and/or tractor. I bought a PTO shaft with ratchet style overload clutch. There was no way I was going to be able to fit that thing between the tiller and tractor output shaft, even with the 3-pt to 2-pt adapter I have on it that gives me more room. Not even cutting it way short.

Attachments

• DSC01639.JPG
    DSC01639.JPG
    600.3 KB · Views: 807
  • DSC00809.JPG
    DSC00809.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 748
  • DSC00805.JPG
    DSC00805.JPG
    140.7 KB · Views: 585
   / PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller #6  
I also have a 1202 tiller and that is my experience too. I tilled a man's yard on Monday and he told me that there was just sand and a pit of topsoil. He did not mention the dozen 10-20 lb rocks or the places where they dumped extra concrete mix that was buried just under the surface.:rolleyes: I got a few very wild rides and bucked around a bit, but nothing serious. :eek: I noticed when it hit something hard that it would ride up and over. The 3 pt lift allows the tiller free movement up which it uses.

Mike

/ PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller #7  
There are sound reasons why new PTO tillers come with slip clutches. One of those reasons is that you cannot predict the future, such as when your tiller tines suck up and wedge in just the right size rock and then as the tiller tines rotate they lock up when the rock contacts the top of the tiller frame. Murphy's Law will get some of us sometimes.

Aaron give good advice about the short links.

I have a slip clutch on my 1300D and operate a 4 foot wide Italian tiller . I had to shorten the PTO shaft considerable, even with longer links to get it to fit.

A slip clutch is a great deal less expensive than gear replacement inside my transmisson--at least that is my two cents worth. You are correct and prudent to be concerned about not using a slip clutch.

/ PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller #8  
Forgive my ignorance, but is there a difference between a "slip" and an "overrun" clutch?

/ PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller #9  
I don't use a torque limiting clutch with my tiller but only use it for garden that I've been playing in for close to 40 yrs. If you find yourself using the tiller in unfamiliar places, a torque limiting clutch may not be a bad idea.

Yep the shafts are short but there is a way around this. I've got and use a quick mount hitch on my tractor and it rarely comes off. It adds ~6" to the distance the implements are from the tractor. That goes a long ways toward accommodating the clutch.

I did have to modify the tiller's mount some to make it conform with the cat I stds to insure the tiller would mount up with the QH but that's a good thing in and of itself.

/ PTO Slip clutch for RS1400 Tiller #10  
Uncle Lou;

Yes, they are two different devices: the overrun clutch does not allow the auxillary (bush hog for instance) rpm to exceed the transmision pto rpm; while the slip clutch "slips" if the auxillary (in this case tiller) binds or bogs down its rpm suddenly. The price of the slip clutch is several times the price of overrun clutch.