close call

/ close call #1  

ritchieb

Bronze Member
Tractor
Yanmar 1610D/Kubota B2620
Just thought I would relate a close call to members here. By all means if your budget allows, get a PTO shield and install it. Some I have seen for as little as $30.00 and it sure could save an injury. While brush-hogging my quick release over-run clutch decided to fly apart at 2200 rpm engine speed and I guess close to 540 rpm PTO speed. Needless to say this happened while backing up a bank and my head turned looking to the rear with my head above the PTO. Had it not been for the shield I might have had metal and bearings impaled in my face and head. (shield was bent and dented) UTDA meant nil to me two years ago but I think possibly the UTDA equipment on my tractor prevented a serious injury in my case. Thanks to my dealer and to all the dealers here who are installing this equipment for us prior to purchase, glad it was on mine and also the ROPS.

/ close call #2  
Glad to hear you're not hurt, Bret. Most of us would never think of a situation like that; we tend to think the purpose of the shield is just to keep hands, etc. from getting into the spinning u-joint. Your story makes a strong case for the safety enhancements that UTDA mandates.

/ close call #3  
Perhaps a few pictures would demonstrate the force of high speeds. My brother runs engines on dynos. They too have covers. There are still accidents. One time a heavy circular plate came off at high speed. It rolled across the floor, went up the wall, across the ceiling, down the other wall, across the floor again and repeated several times before finally stopping. It would have killed anyone in its path.

/ close call #4  
Hi I,m new to the yanmar forum as I just purchased a baby one for My wife. & noticed it has no shield. could someone show pics of what they look like so I can either make or purchase one. Thanks in advance . Bob

/ close call #5  
Hi I,m new to the yanmar forum as I just purchased a baby one for My wife. & noticed it has no shield. could someone show pics of what they look like so I can either make or purchase one. Thanks in advance . Bob
It might not be leagal for somebody to have sold it to you with out one.

/ close call #6  
It might not be leagal for somebody to have sold it to you with out one.

Probablly not LBrown59 , but My fault for buying it site unseen , I,ve never claimed to be very smart. :eek: .

I,ve been checking it out & he said it had no leaks of any kind . I can see why everythings allready Leaked out & Then He Power washed it .

All in all i,m not that Concerned , Most things appear to be fairlly simple I,m hoping. He Delivered it after dark when I was out Mowing the Field & I really didn,t feel like checking it out much .

If all goes well with it I,ll just order one from LMTC , There cheap enough I dont want to mess with it . I have some more Questions of Problems I ran into , I,ll post after this . Thanks again to all. Bob

/ close call
I have already straightened the shield back out as I was not finished with the job, but very glad it was in place! Cowboy357, just go to Google or whatever search engine you may use and type in PTO shield and select the image feature and you will see pictures of them.

/ close call #9  
Aaron,

Do you have one for my F20D? Why I haven't put one on is beyond me. Thanks for the reminder.