shims for 135D

/ shims for 135D #1  

scooterbug

SHIMS FOR 135D?

I need two TO.1 shims for a 135D.There is one on each spindle in the front drive.Hoye doesn't have them.Anyone else to try?The shims are only .1mm thick.Would it be feasible to do without them if I can't get them?What purpose do they serve?

Last edited:
   / shims for 135D #2  
Re: SHIMS FOR 135D?

I need two TO.1 shims for a 135D.There is one on each spindle in the front drive.Hoye doesn't have them.Anyone else to try?The shims are only .1mm thick.Would it be feasible to do without them if I can't get them?What purpose do they serve?

I don't have them in stock, but should be able to get them.

Danny

/ shims for 135D #3  

There are only 4 available that I know of and they are in Japan.

Danny

/ shims for 135D #4  
Scooterbug;

I will attemt to answer your question, however I am not certain if you mean the shims that are located at the outside top of the front axel spindle (king pin). If you mean shims inside the gear cases to shim the proper clearance of mesh of the king pin bevel gear with the axel bevel gear that is another matter. I have rebuilt the front axel gear cases and spindle/king pins on my 1300D which are very similar to yours.

Does your lower gear case have an oil seal or oil O rings, and does your spindle/kingpin have a cross bolt through the knuckle arm (at top) or does the spindle/king pin have a threaded portion on top where a nut screws down on the top of the knuckle arm? The later model gear cases and spindle/king pin with the oil seals, ball bearings in lieu of king pin bushings and screw on top nut are much more rugged than what I have on my 1300D

First, let me say that taking the advice of Danny Parker ( who has responded to your question) is very wise. I have bought parts and equipment for my 1300D, including rebuilding my engine and he is straight on, honest and very knowledgeable.

If you mean the shims at the top of the spindle/king pin, yes they are usually necessary to pull the lower gear case up into the upper gear case properly. on my 1300D I made shims on my lathe for the this purpose and decided that I wanted to have about .005" clearance between the upper and lower gear case---just enough clearance that you can just feel the lower gear case move as you pull up on the top of the spindle/king pin with the knuckle arm attached to top of spindle/king pin with the top nut tightened. If you have minimum clearance without the shims, then you do not need any more shims. NOTE: I have a Yanmar factory original 135(D) 155(D) Service Manual and it states that you should have .004" clearance instead of my .005" clearance. I was lucky to find an orignal manual on e-Bay, as the one I bought from Hoye was a poor reprint--poor as to the photos. If you do not have a service manual, but the one from Hoye anyway. It is 80% as good as an orignal.

Now, concerning shims inside the gear cases. Do you mean shims that will shim the lower gear case bevel gear up to the axel gear (here again minimum clearance)? It is likely you will not need them when you have the spindle/king pin shimed as I have described in the paragraph above( this may not be true is some yahoo mechanic before you has been into the gear cases and left the shims out-if any were there originally from factory) You can check to see if you need shims on the top or bottom of the lower case bevel gear by assembling and tightening the upper/lower gear cases and top spindle/king pin nut, as I have described in the paragraph above and then with your had check that the front axel stub shaft has a bit of "free travel" as you rotate it to the right and left. In other words you are checking to see if the there is gear tooth clearance between the gear teeth of the stub axel bevel gear and the lower case bevel gear. It is a big problem not to have clearance, not so bit if you have too much. If you have not ever worked with gears before, then what I say about feel, will maybe be a bit foreign to you.

However, since you specifically mentioned 1mm shims, I think you are talking about the upper shims on top of the upper gear case. Those shims originally came in 0.1mm (.004") and 0.3 (.012") mm sizes. (There should be one or more 1mm(.039") spacers on top of the upper gear case spindle/king pin--its size is 22.5mm ID x 40mm OD x 1mm thick) Are these 1mm spacers what you are asking about? On my 1300D I needed several shims and spacers as the top of the upper gear case had worn in the 30 year life of my tractor.

I hope this helps you.

/ shims for 135D
Lowveld,
Thanks for all the info.First,I have an early model 135D and there is a significant difference in the front drive between it and the late model which sounds like you are refering to.
The shim is .1mm and goes on the spindle first before any thing else.
Next is a 22x41x2.3mm "liner",then the spindle double gear.(I tried to attach the parts diagram to my email to no avail.)The shim I need was never there.
I have had a problem with breaking gear teeth on the spindle double gear and the axle gear.I admit to using a little too much "dozer" mentality which I'm sure contributed to the problem.
As far as the "free travel" you mentioned,I am pretty sure I understand what you mean.
I will deal with Danny and hope he can get them for me.

/ shims for 135D

I don't have them in stock, but should be able to get them.

Danny

I need two of them.
TO.1 part #H194210-14290
I would really appreciate if you could get them for me.
Let me know how we do this.
Thank you,Roger Nevins

/ shims for 135D #7  
Cowboy .357:

You have the same front axel and gears as the 1300D which is also used on 155D and 135D up to serial number 51000, except you should have an oil sear between the upper and lower gear case, where I have O rings. There should be two liners, one on the bottom of the needle bearings and one on the top.

I also changed out my spindle/king pin bushings while I had my gear cases apart. They are relatively inexpensive.

If you do not have two liners that would cause all kinds of clearance problems with the axle bevel gear and the spindle/king pin gear. One way to check for proper clearance (free travel) between the teeth of the axel gear and the spindle/king pin gear is to remove the stub axle assembly (oil seal, oil seal flange, stub axel and all); then you can try to rotate the spindle/king pin bevel gears with your fingers and see if you have minimum clearance. If you do not then you need to remove shims. Of course to check the clearance, you must have the upper and lower gears cases and everything inside of them assembled with the knuckle arm on top assembled and tightened.

Even using the tractor as a bulldozer, it should take it if the gears are fitted properly.

Been several years since I was in the boonies of Kansas bird shooting. Great shooting there and very friendly and nice people.

Regards;
Lowveld

/ shims for 135D #8  
Scooterbug

Excuse me for using the wrong name for the second time. I had responded to another question and did not change my mind set reset buttton.

/ shims for 135D #9  
Scooterbug

Excuse me for using the wrong name for the second time. I had responded to another question and did not change my mind set reset buttton.

I,ll apologise in advance to Scooterbug . But I find the info very informative . As I have the 1300D & have an excesive gear oil leak on both sides & The spidle does appear to be a little loose. I haven,t looked very close yet . But would be interested in knowing more.

Pics would be great as well Since I have no Manual . Thanks again lowveld & Yes There used to be some great hunting here , But has changed quite a bit because of the newer hunters have little or no respect for private property or farmland . Used to You could knock on just about anyones door & would have permision to hunt. But No one seems to think they need to ask anymore. How times have changed . Sorry I got carried away. :D . Bob

/ shims for 135D #10  
Gentlemen;

The 1300D lower gear case is a pain, if it has the O rings in lieu of the later seals. Mine has the O rings and the only way I could stop it from leaking oil around the O rings was to remove the lower gear case, and machine a second O ring groove above the original O ring. Two O rings will stop the leaking.

The lower gear case will fit into a 9 inch swing lathe like by South Bend Lathe just fine. The reason for the oil leak around the O ring is that dirt and grit over years will invade the gear case and cause wear where the O ring is no longer effective.

The 1300D , 135D and 155D are really tough wonderful machines. I bought my 1300D instead of a 1500D because I wanted to use it in my woods and it will drive in between trees real easy. I decided to rebuild it and so far I have rebuilt the engine, front gear boxes, new steering shaft bushing, some wiring, brakes, and the U-joints of the propeller shaft to front axle. It did not absolutely need all of this, but I just decided to do it. The rebuilt engine is a real horse now, and I have to be careful that I don't get thrown off by its power sometimes. I am glad it has a rops. Even with doing all this work I only have about $3,500.00 in the tractor.

I bought a new 48 inch tiller from Danny Parker and the rebuilt engine does not even hint of a problem with power to run the tiller. It now has about 550 Psi of compression, where it formerly had only about 420Psi. I built a stone wall earlier this year and hauled about 40 tons of stones from the woods up to my house with the tractor, sometimes at more than a half ton per load. With the 4 wheel drive the tractor and in low range the tractor will creep over large stones and small logs like a hummer.

The front drive gear boxes are not hard to rebuilt, but I found that someone before me had been in them and did a shade tree mechanic job on them, leaving some things not fitted properly.

If you need any of my experience on your tractors, send me an e-mail at "lowveld@hughes.net"