YM186D TLB removes rock #1

/ YM186D TLB removes rock #1 #1  

MDL

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX23
Ok, yes I am admittedly a novice tractor loader backhoe operator. This being the case, it doesn't take much to excite me. That being said.......here is a quick post with pictures of the Yanmar doing it's thing hampered by my lack of operation skills!

I'll spare the tractor details as they are well documented in other posts other than saying it is a US Yanmar model YM186D tractor with a Yanmar YFL-650 loader and a Yanmar YBH-660 backhoe. I recently got the tractor back from the mechanic after admitting I was not going to make the time to perform the maintenance and repairs I wanted done. I have been busy with other things since the tractor came back so I hadn't had a chance to test it out. I have had the unit close to a year now but the backhoe broke just after I got it and has been detached and parked since.

Since I have no backhoe experience and no time on this backhoe I felt it would be wise to dig a test hole and get used to the hoe. The backhoe works well. I made a hole about two plus feet deep and around 6 foot in diameter. I then filled it back in using the loader. Although I have read about proper efficient loader technique I haven't master it yet. The backfill was much longer than it should have been. I ended up getting only partial buckets of the loss soil from the pile I had created with the backhoe and eventually ended up using the back of the bucket to pull my dirt pile back so I could keep trying to pick it up with the loader. I think the concept is to get into the pile of backfill material while tipping the bucket back and driving forward. I may not have written/said that correctly. I read and seen descriptions of proper loader use but I definately need practice!

Ok, so the test hole was dug and filled. It was time to move on to a rock. I have a trail that connects two area of property. This trail is flat and packed earth but being that this is the Granite State there are a few large rocks on the surface. I had a mower deck on different tractor that would bang into one of these rocks so I decided to pull the rock from the trail using the Yanmar. I set up the tractor at one side of the rock with god placement for the backhoe. I dug around the rock with the backhoe to free the rock. Eventually I could move the rock with the backhoe bucket but I had to move the tractor to the other side of the hole due to the shape and position of the newly uncovered rock. Once set up on the other side of the rock I was able to curl the backhoe bucket underneath the rock and pull it up the side of the hole. Then I moved the tractor forward and dragged the rock down the trail, dropped it and spun around, then pushed it into the woods with the loader. The rock was about 2x1x1 feet in size and had the loader bucket been deeper I could have lifted the rock without it falling out and moved it that way. I ended by backfilling the hole and supplementing it soil from elsewhere.

Here is a picture of the TLB and me driving it on the overgrown lawn to give some scale to the unit.

Attachments

• 49-164292-Dscf0062.jpg
    49-164292-Dscf0062.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 239
   / YM186D TLB removes rock #1
Here is a picture of the rock in the hole before I moved the tractor to the other side of the hole and dragged it out.

Attachments

• 49-164297-Dscf0056.jpg
    49-164297-Dscf0056.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 197
   / YM186D TLB removes rock #1 #3  
MDL, that's a nice size ornamental "sitting" rock! A trick that works for dealing with large rocks in holes is to use a spare tire chain as a sort of net to wrap around the rock so you can get hold of it.
As far as loader technique, I'd encourage you to develop your own. From what I've experienced, compact tractor loader techniques are different from traditional big tractor methods. I always end up doing quite a bit of shaping of the dirt by using my bucket in reverse. It sounds to me like you have discovered that trick already.
For digging in any ground, a removeable tooth bar will astonish you with how well it works.
Glad to see your backhoe is working.