No Electrical Power 2210d

/ No Electrical Power 2210d #1  

kzack

Tractor
2210D
Hi guys,

I use my tractor almost daily and used it a few times earlier today. Just went to start it again and the starter turned, but only for a fraction of a second and then was dead. I put a jump box on the battery and the dash lights came on, but no attempt at all from the starter. Battery is only a few months old and up until now has had strong power, fuses are okay, ground looks good, connections at the starter look good.

What should I check now?

Thanks a lot, Keith

/ No Electrical Power 2210d #2  
The first thing to do is take some voltage readings. Battery voltage (not voltage through the connectors at the battery). What happens to batt voltage when you try and start the tractor? What is batt voltage at the battery on the cables? If voltage seems OK there, what is batt voltage at the starter when trying to crank?

If batt voltage is low, is there "water" in the battery? You can't tell until you get the tractor running but what is voltage at batt when engine is running (is it charging)?

Fully charged batt voltage = ~12.7. At 12 volts the battery is approx 50% discharged. When engine is running you should see at least 13.7-13.8V and up to around 14.25V.

Report on what you find.

/ No Electrical Power 2210d #3  
Connections looking good is not enough. Remove all 4 points of contact and clean, reattach. If you still have a problem at least you will know it is down stream from the source. It does not take much to block a DC circuit.

/ No Electrical Power 2210d
Thanks guys,

Been busy and hadn't a chance to reply, got it resolved this morning. An old man once taught me that it's always a good idea to put a dab of vaseline on battery terminals. Well, I figured if a small dab is good, then a big gob would be even better. Things had been fine for a few months since I put the new battery in, but I think some of the vaseline had sweat down on to the battery cable and was shorting it. I dried everything off and all is well.

Regards, Keith