Oil & Fuel Fuel problem

/ Fuel problem #1  

lragan

Tractor
Yanmar F20D
After running my F20D for several hours, I had difficulty starting it again. If I waited till the next morning it would start right up. I changed the fuel filter and it started and died after 5-10 seconds, so I thought I had air in the lines. This morning, I tried clearing the injector lines by loosening the injectors one at a time while cranking the motor to push the air out. First injector seemed to push the air out o.k., but when I opened the second I could not get any fuel to spurt out while cranking the motor. I don't actually remove the injector but rather loosen the nut that holds it in place. Should I completely remove the line while cranking and can the injectors get clogged?

/ Fuel problem
I've attached a couple of pics showing my fuel filter and injectors. The spring loaded "button" above the fuel filter is an air relief, I believe. You may also notice another air relief just below and to the left of the injectors. I'm not sure whether or not the motor has to be running to use these or not. I first open the injector line on the left one, and sequentially open the others as the motor is being cranked trying to expel any air in the system. I can get fuel to come out of the first one but when I open the second or third ones I see no evidence of fuel even after cranking for some time.

Attachments

• Tractor 001.jpg
    Tractor 001.jpg
    486.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Tractor 002.jpg
    Tractor 002.jpg
    475.6 KB · Views: 603
   / Fuel problem #4  
Dirty fuel tank ?
Some times it takes 10 minutes for the shaking sediment to clog the lines.

I would start at the tank, drain the fuel tank and blow out the lines.
Put fresh fuel in tank, then bleed it at the push buttons that you showed in the pictures.
If that doesn't cure it, move on to plan B

/ Fuel problem
I did notice a lot of fine sediment in the ff bowl when I changed the filter. Does the motor have to be running to bleed through those relief valves, and how do you blow out the lines?

Thanks

P.S. Does plan B involve driving to Oregon?

/ Fuel problem #6  
Plan A. empty fuel tank completely,then blow it out with an air hose
(bone dry)
Pull the fuel line off where it connects to the fuel filter and let it drain.
next either blow out that line or replace it with a new one if it had any particles or slime in it.

Replace fuel filter, fill with fresh diesel and bleed the system with the push button bleeders.

If it runs good, go have a tall one, if not, go to plan B:D:D:D

/ Fuel problem
What is this little lever used for? It appears to be some sort of "primer" or pump in the fuel system. When I depress the bleeder button, should I pump this lever?

Also, when it's "tall one" time it'll have to be an iced tea. I live in a dry county and it's 22 miles to the closest wet county. Ah, the heck with it! It'll be worth the 45 mile round trip if I get Betsy running. :D

Attachments

• Tractor fuel  pump 001.jpg
    Tractor fuel pump 001.jpg
    454.5 KB · Views: 226
   / Fuel problem #8  
A tall one is a cool drink of H20 :D

Yes that lever is a primer pump.

/ Fuel problem #9  
It appears to be some sort of "primer" or pump in the fuel system. When I depress the bleeder button, should I pump this lever?
Yes, it manually operates your lift pump.

If the bleeder button is 'down stream' from your lift pump, then yes.

Use the 2 to bleed air from lines between tank and injector pump.

Once your positive no air, crack loose your injector line nuts AT the injectors, not at the pump. Crank engine till fuel arrives at loose nut(s).

I'm a little concerned about the amount of dirt around your filter housing. When you reinstalled your filter, are you positive the gasket and mating surfaces were clean ?
A slight leak at that gasket can suck in air and could cause a loss of prime.

/ Fuel problem #10  
I always change the O ring when I put a new filter on.