Flushing radiator and block

/ Flushing radiator and block #1  

bulldog7

Tractor
Yanmar 1610D
MY 1610D seems to be running a little warmer than usual and I think it maybe time to flush the radiator and block. Would it be sufficient to put a flushing product in the radiator and run the tractor for a while and then drain the radiator and flush with clean water or would I need to flush the block a different way and if so how? I have read on here about taking the hoses loose and running water in them but I don't think I understand how that poster went about it exactly. Advice about the best way to go about this is greatly appreciated. Thanks

/ Flushing radiator and block #2  
hi bulldog7,

I DO NOT recommend using a pressure washer.

♪ Use a garden hose with some sort of nozzle that gives a pretty good stream that would for example knock of clods of dirt from lets say the tires.
♪ Remove both top and bottom hoses.
♪ For the radiator the nozzle does not help much, it more about volume flowing through.
♪ For the block, most definitely use a nozzle, it will help break loose years of scaling and grim build up. Frequently while spraying, rotate to the top and bottom ports while trying to aim the stream all around inside the block. Just keep doing that until the water runs clear, might take awhile.
♪ Rinse the hoses to.
♪ Reconnect your hoses.
♪ Add Anti-freeze and water at about a 25% ratio.

You will be surprised at how much Graux-Deaux comes out.
Have Fun

/ Flushing radiator and block #3  
MY 1610D seems to be running a little warmer than usual and I think it maybe time to flush the radiator and block. Would it be sufficient to put a flushing product in the radiator and run the tractor for a while and then drain the radiator and flush with clean water or would I need to flush the block a different way and if so how? I have read on here about taking the hoses loose and running water in them but I don't think I understand how that poster went about it exactly. Advice about the best way to go about this is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I would back flush the radiator, how warm are you talking about?

Danny

/ Flushing radiator and block #4  
1danny, brought this to my attention and I forget about it. My YM1600 does not have a water pump so doing this is easy for my model. For those with a water pump, it will need to be removed for access to the top port. New water pump gaskets should be on hand before doing it this way.

Automotive backflush kits are available, but they are designed to be spliced into a cars heater hose, not sure if water pumped Yanmar Tractors have those. So I have no idea how to go about backflushing without a kit.

The above method will knock loose more debris and the end result will be a more thorough flush. Do not forget to have new water pump gaskets on hand if your model has a water pump, a YM1610D does.

For models without a water pump I recommend the above because sediment is a bigger issue.

/ Flushing radiator and block #5  
DO NOT remove the waterpump. Every waterpump equiped vehicle has a by-pass hose. If it has a thermostat, remove it and replace the hose. Unhook the upper rad hose at the rad, stuff a garden hose into the rad hose, stuffing shop rags in for a seal. Water is going to pour out the upper hose connection so cover wiring, alt., etc. with plastic bags. Turn on the water full blast. Dirt will be driven out the same direction it went in, (backflush). In a clear system water will come out as fast as it goes in. When water runs clear, put it back together, fill with a 50/50 water. coolant mix. Mix first.

/ Flushing radiator and block #6  
Aaron at Hoye Tractor Parts has provided us Yanmar Owners with this link:
My Yanmar Tractor Is Over Heating...... What Do I Do?
A very good read, but not a How To for flushing the cooling system. I guess it is really up to each owner to decide the best way to flush the system. What works best for you.

/ Flushing radiator and block
Thanks guys for your replys, the information on this site is very helpful and appreciated.