slipping out of 2nd gear

/ slipping out of 2nd gear #1  

Jim2

Bronze Member
I just bought a 2402D Yanmar. This is a standard shift 3 x 5 transmission (no powershift). Anyway, it is slipping out of 2nd gear.

How much of a job is this to repair? Does the tractor need to be split? Or, can you just pull the shifter off the top and get access that way?

It's really a shame as the rest of the tractor seems pretty solid. It starts and runs good w/ no smoke and no leaks. . . .

Jim

/ slipping out of 2nd gear #2  
You can pull the shifter off the top and get access that way. If you have to split it depends on what the cause is .

/ slipping out of 2nd gear
Yeah, I did that last night. The problem doesn't seem to be nearly as serious as I had built up in my head!

Second gear has a different "feel" than does 1st, 3rd, and reverse. It doesn't feel like it's getting all the way into second.

Second gear "snaps" securely with the shifter lever off, though. The ball detent is definitely there and working. So, I'm thinking it has something to do with the way the shift lever is interfacing with the shift rails. Nothing seems particularly worn, though somebody has been in there before as there was some silcone-type sealant keeping water out. I'm thinking at this point that the shift lever may be bent, or the ball on the bottom could be small (worn), or maybe the fork that the ball moves is worn? The thing is--none of these parts *look* bad. . . . It is a bit confounding as the other gears seem to work so well!

I didn't have much time to examine everything thoroughly yesterday, so will keep at it. . . .

Jim

/ slipping out of 2nd gear #4  
Second gear "snaps" securely with the shifter lever off, though.......... I'm thinking at this point that the shift lever may be bent, or the ball on the bottom could be small (worn), or maybe the fork that the ball moves is worn? The thing is--none of these parts *look* bad. . . . It is a bit confounding as the other gears seem to work so well!

Sounds like good news. I'd go with it being a bent shifter or bent shifter fork. Being normally a bent shape, those things are just about impossible to measure. It seems to me that when anything is bent by forcing the lever into position, the new bend always keeps it from engaging as far in that direction the next time. Maybe that is why it is popping out.
Good Luck, rScotty

/ slipping out of 2nd gear #5  
I had one doing the same thing. It was a broken fork. I welded the broken side and then trial and errored it until it was right. I later found out the cause. I was at an importer's shop when a load of tractor came in. They had taken the steering wheels off and the front and rear rims to ship. They were stacking the front wheels on the frame between the steering wheel shaft and where the seat is. The wheels were resting on the shift lever. It put extreme pressure on the shifter. I figure that is what damaged my tractor and something like that yours. The shift forks are cast steel and can be bent.

/ slipping out of 2nd gear
Thanks for the encouragement--I got it sorted out yesterday, though!

It turns out that there is a spring holding the shift lever into that aluminum plate on top of the transmission. Mine may not be original, or it may be deformed or something. Anyway it was getting wedged in there in such a manner that it was preventing second gear from engaging all the way. I cut a little bit off the end, and bent it some. Now it is snaps right into gear and stays there.

I knew something was up when it shifted fine w/o the shift lever and didn't work right when it was fully assembled. I'm glad it was something simple!

Jim

/ slipping out of 2nd gear #7  
Thanks for the encouragement--I got it sorted out yesterday, though!
snip........I cut a little bit off the end, and bent it some. Now it is snaps right into gear and stays there.......snip
I knew something was up when it shifted fine w/o the shift lever and didn't work right when it was fully assembled. Jim

Well congratulations. It sounds to me like you are a pretty knowledgeable fixit kind of guy. I think you are going to really appreciate that Yanmar. Everytime I open one up I'm impressed by the quality of whats inside. Yanmar clearly emphasizes quality in their engineering. That's probably what makes the used ones such good deals.
rScotty