I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget

/ I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget #1  

Smoody

Platinum Member
Tractor
YM226D
I have been getting price quotes on 4 WD Yanmars w/ Loaders in the Ym2210-Ym2610 size range and am being quoted anywhere from 9k-12k. Now before I start this rant I currently own a YM2001 2WD and I think Yanmars are excellent tractors, However I think they are being WAY overpriced seeing as they are 30 year old machines, I mean c'mon I am pricing Kubota/Deere's in this same size range less then 10 years old in this price range.

I have researched importing, gotten inventory list w/prices shipped here to the US. The markup on these machines now are HUGE and ridiculous. Can anyone tell me why spend 12k on a 1980's model Yanmar with 1,000+ hours, painted pretty with US safety equipment on them instead of buying a BRAND NEW Kubota or Cub Cadet/Yanmar with 0 hours, 3 year warranty, 0% financing for only a few thousand more?

IMO 8-9k should be MAX price on the largest Yanmars imported.
EDIT** - 8-9k MAX WITH US safety features and a Koyker loader.

I realize what I think is irrelevant just had to speak my mind.

Unreal.

Last edited:
   / I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget #2  
Yanmars are only a bargain for DIY'ers. If you have to pay someone $100+ per hour to make it pretty and then ask top $ for it, then there is no bargain. Only fools buy those tractors.

/ I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget #3  
Not trying to tackle some of your questions but I looked at the imported gray market tractors a few years back and am so so glad passed on them.

/ I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget
Norm you are absolutely correct. I'll just keep looking for a used one on craigslist and put a loader on it, still will save 2-4k.

Kthompson, I think the Yanmars are great reliable machines, my problem isn't with the brand its with the US importers markup.

example, I seen 2210's on the inventory sheet with less then 1,000 hours - cost = $2200, but when they get them here, add paint, decals, and a loader cost = $9,000 +

Keep it.

/ I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget #5  
It is just like anything else - the more popular something gets the more it starts to cost. You can almost always find better deals from individuals but you will usually have to spend a lot of time looking for that perfect deal.

You might want to shop around a little more though. $9k does sound a little high. For example I see Little Miami (lmtcompany.com) lists a YM2210 with a ROPS for $4,600.

That is a fair price since the $2,200 price you mentioned does not probably include shipping to the USA, cargo insurance, offloading, customs fees, duties, terminal handling fees, a ROPS, PLUS any expenses involved in painting, servicing, PLUS those things that can and will go wrong like your container getting dropped, damaged merchandise, etc. Those things add up QUICK!

I would also recommend comparing the New Yanmars or Kubotas to the older YM2210 for example. I think you will see why the newer ones are less expensive :( They just don't make them like that anymore.

Aaron
Hoye Tractor Parts
Contact Us
(940)592-0181

/ I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget
It is just like anything else - the more popular something gets the more it starts to cost. You can almost always find better deals from individuals but you will usually have to spend a lot of time looking for that perfect deal.

You might want to shop around a little more though. $9k does sound a little high. For example I see Little Miami (lmtcompany.com) lists a YM2210 with a ROPS for $4,600.

That is a fair price since the $2,200 price you mentioned does not probably include shipping to the USA, cargo insurance, offloading, customs fees, duties, terminal handling fees, a ROPS, PLUS any expenses involved in painting, servicing, PLUS those things that can and will go wrong like your container getting dropped, damaged merchandise, etc. Those things add up QUICK!

I would also recommend comparing the New Yanmars or Kubotas to the older YM2210 for example. I think you will see why the newer ones are less expensive :( They just don't make them like that anymore.

Aaron
Hoye Tractor Parts
Contact Us
(940)592-0181

Aaron you make a good point about the quality of the build, older tractors are definately built heavier then whats selling today, good example is the old Ford 3000-4000 series, excellent built tractors.

The $2200 price I mention on a YM2210 was indeed without all those fee's, BUT that was MY price quote, I will never believe a HUGE importer would be qouted the exact same price as me seeing as they probably order 100's of tractors a year vs. my maybe once in a lifetime load.

The YM2210 for $4600 is a fair price, but its not 4WD nor does it have a loader, add those it will be pushing $9,000.

/ I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget #7  
Guess I stole my "NEW" YM2000 from a private seller for $850.00

/ I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget #9  
I have a a YM3000 I bought from dad he bought it in 98 with a cracked block. He gave another 800 for a 200 hour take off skid engine. Dad kept it till 5 years ago then I bought it. Theres a man from Memphis TN that buys Yanmars and repaints them and puts any loader he can find on them and resells. Hes pestered me every 2 weeks for the last year and a half to sell him my tractor. Its a straight old tracto and in good shape. I think last weeks offer was for him to give me a Jinma and Shengfu tractor for my 3000. And he tells me that my old tractors as he calls it isnt worth much.

/ I thought Yanmars were for people on a budget #10  
For me has been a really good deal. Not running when I bought it. But thanks to Hoye tractor I fixed it.
Last week end used it to build 500' of fence. Pulling a 4' Howse Bush hog to clear fence row. Heavy brush 8' to 10' high. Tractor would ride down most of it. Sometimes would hit something around 2" or so that the tractor would not push over. Just hit it with a chain saw and then ride it down and chop it up.
Very happy with my cheap tractor.