Tractor Sizing what size disk harrow for ym2000

/ what size disk harrow for ym2000 #1  

clemsonfor

Tractor
Yanmar YM2000
If this post looks familair to any of you, thats because it may be. I posted this yesterday in the attachements forum, i thought it may get a better audience here after i posted it there, so im open to hear any and all thoughts.

Thanks to the 2 guys who already posted in the attachment forum, i have not forgotton or overlooked anything yall have said, just looking for the most info i can get and opinons before i make my final decision.

I have a ym2000 yanmar 2wd. For those who may not know its 24 engine hp and weighs around 1700lbs no weight added (i dont have suitcase weights, wheel weights or ballest tires). I am looking to buy a disk harrow. I have found a used set with i think 16 disks in 2 gangs(4 individual axles with 4 disks per axle). The rear of the disks is just over 5 ft and is an angle iron construckion type. I looked online at lineback and looks very similar to one they have listed around 540 lbs. Would this be too much disk or to heavy to pull in my heavy clay to clay/sandy loam soils for food plots? My other thought was what if i get it and take 4 disks off if i was bogging down pulling it or if needed 4 from the front gangs and two off the back to get even less resistance, would the weight of the frame just push harder on those remaining disks that i would bog the same unless i watched my draft?

The other scenario is to buy a new 12 disk harrow that is a 4 ft leinback model that is in the 350lb range.\

I was wondering what yall think, if i can go the used route it will save me around $200 (its price is $350).

My thinking is i can always take disks off but i cant add them, easily at least,.
And if i can get the larger one i dont have to worry about leaving tire tracks if i remove inner disks.

/ what size disk harrow for ym2000 #2  
Think that will be quite a load for the 2000. It's just too light a tractor.

/ what size disk harrow for ym2000 #3  
I would definitely go with the cheaper one, (as long as you can remove disks) since it may not work at all. The 2wd, lightweight YM2000 does not do well at all with any type of ground engaging equipment due to either traction problems, or lifting the front end. Be prepared to add weights where needed.

/ what size disk harrow for ym2000 #4  
My YM3000 with around 33hp and a weight of a little over 3000 lbs. ( with FEL ) will just pull a 5' disc in second gear, low range. I don't think your YM2000 stands much of a chance. Think your tractor would be lucky to be able to pull a 3' disk. Soil, and depth of cut matters here, but judging from what mine does in sandy, DG I think if I was you, I'd be looking for a tiller.
Chris

/ what size disk harrow for ym2000 #5  
I have a 1700 2WD (20hp). It is slightly smaller than a 2000. I pull a 4' 12X16 disc with it and it works great. I have my tires loaded too. My soil is primarily loam. The rice tires probably help too.

/ what size disk harrow for ym2000
Wow the difference in answers is polar opposits in the two forums. I was thinking the same as yall. I was planning on having to remove atleast 4-6 disks to be able to think about pulling the double gang 16 disk used harrow.

Bob that 12 disk 4 ft harrow is what im looking at getting it weighs in the 350lb range and is around 4 ft wide.

The reason i am even considering the larger one is the fact that i could take multiple disks off to be able to get the ground engaging surface area to a minimun, realizing that i would have to use my draft to keep from sinking it too deep and stoping foward progress. I am already tring to find cheap alternatives for weights for the front.

I may build a bos to hold scrap metal?

What have yall used for weights?

Yanmar brand suitcase weights? there pricy. What about just any suitcase weight from another brand and chain them down if they are a loose fit?

What can i expect to pay for generic suitcase weights from a tractor store?

I found some on ebay that weigh around 40lbs a peice and are about $50 shipped to the house.

Thanks Cali, i will read it now. I thought i lookede through all those old posts thats why more heads are better than one, and some of us may have participated so it is easier to locate them.

The weight issue is what i keep coming back to. An 8n, although in a similar HP range weighs like 2000lbs more than a ym2000, the traction and weight is why i had my doubts.

People keep your opinions and thoughs/experiencs coming!

-nate

/ what size disk harrow for ym2000 #9  
I have a 2000 BD with a large disc set (I couldn't pass up the price). I have a loader and the tires have water in them. The disc is adjustable as well. I intended to remove one disc from each axle, but figured I'd see what happened like it was. I won't say how big, my asbestos underwear is at the cleaners and the incoming flames would get me:)

1st try in FL dirt, (called sand most other places), without 4wd engaged wasn't great. The rear tires would break in the soft ground with the rice tires. I then tried it with 4wd on. It was like I had a different tractor. It had no problem pulling, it was like the disc wasn't even there. However, I wasn't tearing up virgin sod.

So, I think the reason you get differing opinions is some people live in areas where the ground is thick and hard, or soft where I'm at. Some have 4wd, some don't. Some have weight added, some don't.

I will say that I'm a big fan of 4wd. I try not to run it unless I need it.

thanks jerry. As you read im only 2wd. My sandy dirt is not like you sand there. Some places are just like good old Ga red clay, but here in SC we call it red mud, or SC red clay. But the areas i have have been tilled in the past but have grass back over them, and these are old fields and they are not pure red clay its there but there is also a sand component to it. Deffinitly not the loose well drained dirt (sand) like in fla.