Oil & Fuel Milky substance on engine oil cap.

/ Milky substance on engine oil cap. #1  

Smoody

Platinum Member
Tractor
YM226D
I searched for this but did not find what I am looking for.

I went out to use the YM2210 over the Thanksgiving break and I always check the fluid levels before I use it, there is a white pasty (like Mayonnaise) substance at the top of the engine oil dipstick cap. It is also a bit on the walls of the filler area, the oil looks milky, I know that is a sign of water in the oil, the thing is I don't know why. When I bought the tractor the oil looked normal and I used it about 10 hours before I changed it and it never looked this way, I don't have 10 hours on the new oil change (Rotella 15w-40) and it looks contaminated. I cranked it and let it idle for about 5 minutes to see if the moisture would get burned out of the oil once heated, still milky. I immediately turned the tractor off and it will sit until I get this figured out.

What could be causing it and what is the proper procedure on determining the cause? I read a head gasket can cause this but I don't see any other signs of it being that, the tractor doesn't smoke and it starts fine. I do use the decompression lever every time to start it.

Condensation? It does sit outside under a tarp and a soup can on the stack to keep water out, it rained pretty hard a few nights last week, how can I check for a blown head gasket? Should I just change the oil and filter and see if it happens again??

Thanks

/ Milky substance on engine oil cap. #2  
If you were to leave the tractor static for a day or two most moisture would be below the oil and to loosen the dain plug a bit and see what seeps out, the type of moisture that runs out will answer a lot.

If it does have antifreeze in it it would show. If it is just water which it could be condensation that would show!

If the oil is discolored from when installed then it is absorbing the moisture and would or should be changed out as soon as you can identify the problem.

/ Milky substance on engine oil cap. #3  
Sorry to sound like I have only bad news, but if it looks like what you describe, it sure isn't condensation. At best it's a head gasket or intake gasket. At worst, the block could be shot. Getting what looks like light colored chocolate milkshake from an engine is almost always really bad. You do want to check into it right away though. Continued operation with it as you describe will definitely result in a destroyed engine. Good luck!

/ Milky substance on engine oil cap. #4  
look to see if the radiator is at all low in water, if it is then most likely blown gasket, although could have ran hot and went over into the overflow catch bottle, Do you know if the tractor has in fact ever ran Hot? have you ever shut it off and hear it perking or poping from within the engine? the idiot lights installed on these YM have been known to fail, loose wire blown bulb etc,etc,
if your lucky enough for it to only be a blown head gasket and get it replaced then I would change over to a temp gauge asap,;)

Last edited:
   / Milky substance on engine oil cap. #5  
And drain the oil to see what it looks like. Will be interested to know the outcome. Hope it is not bad news.

/ Milky substance on engine oil cap.
Thanks for the replies.

The indicator assembly/bulbs are new and functioning, I guess the temp sender could be bad but the bulb I know works, I have never heard it boiling/popping etc after a shutdown, only thing I have heard is where the coolant drains back down after I shut it off, its not hissing or any indication of running hot. I will lightly loosen the oil plug and see what comes out first as suggested.

After some reading I see that water can enter through a shifter boot, I do have a crack in my PTO shifter boot, can water find its way into the engine oil from there or just the Hyd fluid?? I keep a tarp on the tractor at all times though.

Man I hate to hear it could be bad, it runs perfect and I haven't run it on the milky looking oil, other then idle, before I changed the oil it was fine....

The radiator fluid overflow bottle was full above the "full" line, I emptied down to the full line and haven't noticed any level dropping, also the engine oil level has not risen, or enough to tell yet.

/ Milky substance on engine oil cap. #7  
First thing = Do not run this engine before checking it out, you could loose all of the rod and main bearings fast !!!
Second = go to a good tractor supply or diesel shop and ask for a test kit. You will draw a small sample of the engine oil and it will be sent to a lab for testing at a nominal cost.
The results of the lab test will tell you what you need to do.
Coolant in the engine oil can force you to have to rebuild your engine when all you needed was a new head gasket or something small. Test will let you know if there is coolant in your oil, or something else. Well worth the small price paid,
Chris

/ Milky substance on engine oil cap.
I think I have a head gasket leak, the radiator fluid is low, I posted on another thread about a leaking injector, and that is was bubbling where the gasket is, I thought it was gas burning off but I still see the small bubbling in spots, so that would indicate a gasket leak correct? I haven't taken anything apart yet.

I also located a engine builder who can check the head for warping/cracks and can resurface it if needed, basically for $60 I can get the Head cleaned, pressure check and a resurfaced, or $35 if no resurfacing needed, I think that's a fair price, anyone??

He asked me if the engine was a Direct Injection or In-Direct injection system, What system are Yanmars? He asked this when I asked what it would cost to rebuild the head completely. (valves, etc.)

Thanks

/ Milky substance on engine oil cap. #10  
It may be a cracked head. That is a good price. I spent more than that when I rebuilt my engine. I had the head magnafluxed, resurfaced, pressure tested, replaced valve stem seals, valves, and springs. These heads sometime crack at the injector hole. I have heard that Fredricks can repair them.