single bottom plow?

/ single bottom plow? #1  

kayssupply

Platinum Member
Tractor
Iseki TA 207
I have had repeated customers ask if a Yanmar could pull a 14" single bottom plow. Can anyone with experience tell me how small / large of a Yanmar 4x4 it would take to pull one? I want to give good advice. Thanks

/ single bottom plow? #2  
I have a 1401 2 wheel drive. I pull a 12inch Brinly-Hardy moldboard plow model number PP1200BH. This plow is equiped with guage wheel and coulter. I have turf tires therefore I have to use chains for traction. I see no reason that a 4wd with agri tires would not be able to pull a 14inch plow. My friend has a 1300 2wd with agr tires and he has borrowed my plow and had no problem pulling it. Brinly-Hardy toll free number is 877 728 8224.

/ single bottom plow? #3  
Thats a hard question to answer specifically as there are so many variables involved,such as speed,depth,soil type etc. As a general rule, it takes about 15 to 20 hp per bottom, but since bottom plowing is usually done at slow speeds,traction can be more of a problem than hp.Even with 4wd,extra weight may be needed in some soils

/ single bottom plow? #4  
I have the same tractor as you have Professor. I have the rice tires on still though. But, just out of curiousity, how much did that plow run you? And, the 3-pt that I have, has a Cat. 1 3-pt., not a Cat. 0. So, what do you do about that? By the way, I am not sure about you, but I LOVE my 1401. A very nice tractor. Only 725 hours, and no rust, all original.

Aric
YM1401 /w3tcompact/icons/king.gif

/ single bottom plow? #5  
Aric
I bought the Brinly plow used. It cost $75.00 and was in perfect condition. This plow does have a cat. 1 hitch. I like this plow because it is light weight. I used to own a 155d with agri tires and plowed with a John Deere 14" single plow. If you decide on the Brinly there are adapter bushings that you can buy and place on the cat. 1 lift pins to convert to cat. 0.
I really like my 1401, I pull a 5ft. finishing mower and have power to spare.

/ single bottom plow? #6  
I pull a old 16" JD single bottom plow with my old YM2000 with no problems if it is not too wet or too dry.

/ single bottom plow? #7  
I have a 186D and a Leinbach M19 which I believe is a single bottom 12" plow. The 186 is 18 engine hp and about 14 pto hp. My 186 has ag tires and around 150 lbs. on the front. I can pull the plow but I have to control the draft manually. If I don't raise it up when the wheels start to loose traction the tractor will stop with the wheels spinning. It wouldn't work at all without 4WD. Filling the rear tired might help. A little more horse power might help too. Plowing is really fun. It is so nice to watch the dirt curl off the blade of the plow. Many of the farmers in our area have gone to no till. Must have been hard for them to give up plowing.

Chris

/ single bottom plow? #8  
I have a similar question, but for a Kubota B6200 4x4 with agri tires. Will I be OK plowing with a single bottom plow in clay/rocky ground?

/ single bottom plow? #9  
How much does the Kubota weigh? I think under 2,000 lbs you won't make much progress.

In that tough soil it might be like dropping a boat anchor.