Sticky throttle lever

/ Sticky throttle lever #1  

queen of spades

Silver Member
My foot throttle lever is very hard to press down. It was smooth as silk when I bought the tractor a year & a half ago. The hand lever is also harder to move back and forth than it used to be.

IMG_0697.jpg

I took some of the covers off tonight to see if I was missing a zerc fitting - didn't find a thing.

IMG_0700.jpg

So far that I can tell, there aren't any cables that could be drying out... looks like it works with a long rod.

IMG_0704.jpg

IMG_0701.jpg

Any idea why the throttle could be sticking?

/ Sticky throttle lever #2  
My tractor does not have a foot throttle but, I have to lube the linkage periodically. Try spraying some WD40 on it. I usually use motor oil on mine.

/ Sticky throttle lever #3  
From looking at the pictures it looks similar to what mine does. There is a friction disk in there that you probably don't want to lubricate. The amount of pressure put on that friction disk can be adjusted by loosening the two nuts that are jammed together in the second picture.

/ Sticky throttle lever #4  
Mine done the same thing, it was the spring.

/ Sticky throttle lever #6  
How do you mean? can you tell how the spring made it harder and harder to use?

I re-read your post and seen it was hard to press the foot lever, mine was the opposite, it would not return when I let off the pedal, the springs wasn't "pulling" it back up.

/ Sticky throttle lever #7  
That's called "troubleshooting".

/ Sticky throttle lever
Solved.

The lock-nuts in the top left of this photo had somehow tightened down over time. I backed off of these a quarter turn and the foot lever presses down easily again.

IMG_0700.jpg

/ Sticky throttle lever #9  
I would put money that the nylon disk is going bad. How do I know, it happened to me.The best I can remember, Rust and Dirt prevents it from slideing and it will tighten up the the lock nuts and pinch down you foot lever so tight that it won't hardley move again. How could I forget that happened!!!! when I bought it that ended up being one of the worst things I had to straighten out. It was so bad when I finaly got a the new Nylon Washer, when I was snuging up the Nuts the Screw for the lock nuts Broke off the Handle :eek: what the!!!!!!! that one got the _ _ bomb big time. Luckely from it being manufactuered in the 70's the handle is made out of steel instead of cheap aluminum and was able to tack it back on. Trust me on this one order you a washer it will tighten back up before long.Been there Done that:rolleyes:
HeHe it's making sence now you've been in it.Dang thinking about it the Handle is still rigged I hope I didn't Jinx myself.:eek:

Carey