Transmission noise

/ Transmission noise #1  

Trkrd

Silver Member
Tractor
YM240D
From time to time I'll either pull or push something that just won't move and when I push in the clutch I'll hear a quick ratcheting sound from the trans. My old IH did the same thing. Is this normal? Doesn't do it under normal circumstances, only when something won't budge. (i.e. stump, rock, mother in-law,etc)

Last edited:
   / Transmission noise #2  
That is probably the overrun 'clutch' in the rear axle. It's purpose is to ratchet so the inertia of a heavy, spinning pto implement can't push the tractor after you put in the clutch. (US Yanmars have this feature, not the grays).

It's not really a friction clutch, it's like a one-way ratchet. The sound is identical to the clicking of a bicycle when you quit pedaling - except tractor sized.

Putting in the clutch and coasting backward in a forward gear (or forward while in reverse) will cause this ratcheting sound. Like when you push on a stump then roll back a couple of inches.

Relax, it's harmless. Same as coasting downhill on a bicycle, click click click.

/ Transmission noise
That makes perfect sense,thanks California. When I posted I thought you would be the first to chime in. Don't see many green 240's like ours. Before posting a question I always look/search through your posts and usually find the answer.

/ Transmission noise #4  
Its sorta retired for now, but I have a 240D yanmar too:D It was the primary tractor for all of the 'tractor' work on the ornamental tree farm when established 10 years ago. That big clicking sound you are hearing is normal. Mine was bought well used and was developing more problems each year I used it. About seven years into using it I was in a position to "up grade" and was researching compact tractor brands online, I found tractorbynet, hoye tractor and posts from california on the 240 yanmar. I was gunna sell the poor thing off but with the knowledge found on TBN that changed.... Then shortly after that while looking at tractors and for the price of "If I load it, would you haul it off" I scored on a parts 240, engine dead, but with many other donor parts plus a loader to make my 240D come out of retirement.... Only thing is I'm gunna have to retire to have the time to do all that:D

My upgrade was to a JD790, just a yanmar in Deere clothing...

Attachments

• Old computer pictures 596.JPG
    Old computer pictures 596.JPG
    249.7 KB · Views: 148
   / Transmission noise
Good idea to hold on to it. From everything I've read, the only things moving on the planet after a global armageddon will be cockroaches and Yanmars.:D

/ Transmission noise #6  
My yanny does that too. but when I cold start it and that small amont of coasting when you let off the clutch in a little mound of dirt or something. It stops when I push in the clutch so it makes sence it is in the tranny. Its nice to know that is is normal. It did it just last night too when i used it in my small logging operation. I was impressed with some of the logs that little tractor could lift.

Attachments

• 2-21-10 008.jpg
    2-21-10 008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 150