Tractor
    YM240D

Default Transmission noise

From time to time I'll either pull or push something that just won't move and when I push in the clutch I'll hear a quick ratcheting sound from the trans. My old IH did the same thing. Is this normal? Doesn't do it under normal circumstances, only when something won't budge. (i.e. stump, rock, mother in-law,etc)
    Last edited by Trkrd; 02-22-2010 at 11:47 AM.

Tractor
    Yanmar YM240, YM186D, and another YM186D

Default Re: Transmission noise

That is probably the overrun 'clutch' in the rear axle. It's purpose is to ratchet so the inertia of a heavy, spinning pto implement can't push the tractor after you put in the clutch. (US Yanmars have this feature, not the grays).

It's not really a friction clutch, it's like a one-way ratchet. The sound is identical to the clicking of a bicycle when you quit pedaling - except tractor sized.

Putting in the clutch and coasting backward in a forward gear (or forward while in reverse) will cause this ratcheting sound. Like when you push on a stump then roll back a couple of inches.

Relax, it's harmless. Same as coasting downhill on a bicycle, click click click.

Tractor
    YM240D

That makes perfect sense,thanks California. When I posted I thought you would be the first to chime in. Don't see many green 240's like ours. Before posting a question I always look/search through your posts and usually find the answer.

Tractor
    John Deere 790 w/ 300 loader

Its sorta retired for now, but I have a 240D yanmar too It was the primary tractor for all of the 'tractor' work on the ornamental tree farm when established 10 years ago. That big clicking sound you are hearing is normal. Mine was bought well used and was developing more problems each year I used it. About seven years into using it I was in a position to "up grade" and was researching compact tractor brands online, I found tractorbynet, hoye tractor and posts from california on the 240 yanmar. I was gunna sell the poor thing off but with the knowledge found on TBN that changed.... Then shortly after that while looking at tractors and for the price of "If I load it, would you haul it off" I scored on a parts 240, engine dead, but with many other donor parts plus a loader to make my 240D come out of retirement.... Only thing is I'm gunna have to retire to have the time to do all that

My upgrade was to a JD790, just a yanmar in Deere clothing...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -old-computer-pictures-596-jpg  
    790 JD W/ 300 loader
    Lots of implements for loader and 3pt
    Can't do it burn'n diesel, is not worth do'n

Tractor
    YM240D

Good idea to hold on to it. From everything I've read, the only things moving on the planet after a global armageddon will be cockroaches and Yanmars.

Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

My yanny does that too. but when I cold start it and that small amont of coasting when you let off the clutch in a little mound of dirt or something. It stops when I push in the clutch so it makes sence it is in the tranny. Its nice to know that is is normal. It did it just last night too when i used it in my small logging operation. I was impressed with some of the logs that little tractor could lift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -2-21-10-008-jpg  
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club