Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Yanmar 1500D Generator

Thanks for your reply's.I checker the stater today and the post on the solenoid that connects to the battery,ignition switch and regulator is grounded.This would cause it to heat up!!I hope someone can tell what is wrong, I don't want to connect the the battery to the solenoid if it is going to ground.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

I'm assuming you checked going to ground with all the wires removed from that terminal. If you did I don't think it can be anything but the starter. If the wires going to the regulator or switch were on there while making this test it is possible they were touching a ground someway.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KidYanmar View Post
    Thanks for your reply's.I checker the stater today and the post on the solenoid that connects to the battery,ignition switch and regulator is grounded.This would cause it to heat up!!I hope someone can tell what is wrong, I don't want to connect the the battery to the solenoid if it is going to ground.
    Are you saying both posts on the solenoid are grounded? ALL starters should be wired similar to this.

Thanks for your responses.I disconnected all wires to the solenoid.The post that connects to the battery, regulator and ignition is grounded.The post that goes to the starter is not grounded.I do not want to connect the positive battery terminal to a grounded solenoid connection.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

quote "The post that connects to the battery, regulator and ignition is grounded". I may be wrong, but the black ignition wire should be the only wire connected to the small solenoid connection. The battery and regulator wires should be on the big post with the wire from the battery. Thats the way my ym2002 is and I would think they all are. I believe the diagrahm Normde sent shows it that way. I retract the statement about all being that way. I may be misreading your post so take all this as my opinion and good luck to you.

Thanks for your reply winston1,Yes there is a small terminal with black wire,also the post with battery cable and white wire.The other post goes to the starter.The post with the battery cable and white wire is grounded through the solenoid body to engine.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

looks like you have zeroed in on a bad solenoid. Does fire fly when you touch the battery wire to the correct terminal with all other wires disconnected?

Thanks for your reply, I noticed some arching when I connected the battery positive cable.The solenoid was new I only ran the tractor for a couple hours.I checked the last starter I had taken off and it's solenoid post is grounded the the solenoid body also.Is this tractor burning up solenoids?

I think I have figured out the problem and I will post it if you'all can guess what it is or come close.I don't want to admit what was wrong outrite too embarassing.Here are some clues:Checked the generator ouput from the regulator while running 6-11 volts DC, seems OK.Dash lights and fuses all check out fine .Battery fully charged with 12+ volts.When I replaced the starter I had to install new solenoid,the one on the new starter was damaged in shipping, thanks USPS for dropping it.After running for a couple hours solenoid gets very hot, can barely touch it without getting burned.Now if you connect it to battery it gets hot in a couple minutes...........Good Luck!

Elite Member
    Tractor
    yanmar 2002d

I give up but would sure like to know the answer. I've been embarrased many times!:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast