Yanmar 1500D Generator

/ Yanmar 1500D Generator #1  

KidYanmar

I have a YM1500D.After replacing an aftermarket starter that came on this tractor with an Yanmar starter (Hitachi) I noticed the solenoid is getting really hot after running for a couple hours.The soleniod is new. Could the ignition switch be bad or the generator overcharging?The connections are good to the starter and battery ground to engine is good.

/ Yanmar 1500D Generator #2  
Generator charging should have nothing to do with it. Power is applied to the solenoid only when the key is turned to engage the starter.

If the switch were at fault the solenoid, and hence the starter, would be engaged when the switch is in the "run" position.

Are you sure it isn't just being heated by the engine?

/ Yanmar 1500D Generator
Thanks for reply Reb, I just bought this tractor last month,the old starter was burning up when starting,I thought it was undersized.This new solenoid is getting really hot, it would burn you if you were to touch it,the new starter is not getting hot.I only ran it once after installing the starter/solenoid before noticing it.The generator must connect to the battery at the solenoid on the post with Batt cable and white wire.I can't find much info in my YM1500 Yanmar manual (Japanese).I do have a manual for YM135/155 I wonder if they use the same charging system?I wonder if disconnecting the white wire and running the tractor would tell me anything?Or how to test the ignition switch?

/ Yanmar 1500D Generator #4  
The generator must connect to the battery at the solenoid

There is your problem. The generator is charging in AC (like your house). The generator needs to attach to the regulator which converts it to DC first. I'm suprised everything has lasted this long.

Aaron
Hoye Tractor Parts
Contact Us
(940)592-0181

/ Yanmar 1500D Generator
Thanks for your reply Aaron, I only assumed the white wire went to the generator.I found a wiring diagram for YM135/155 and it's white wire goes to the ignition switch.I was thinking that the white wire is the only other connection to the battery besides the starter and must be for charging.The ignition switch at the second key position,must connect the voltage regulator and battery with white wire?

/ Yanmar 1500D Generator
the YM1500 manual in Japanese does have a primitive wiring diagram.It shows white wire to solenoid going to both ignition switch and voltage regulator.This wire must supply battery voltage to ignition switch and get charging voltage from regulator.The wire is called B1 and goes to BAT on ignition switch and to B on starter also to the voltage regulator, I need to know Japanese to know what this connection is called.What would happen if I disconnect it?

/ Yanmar 1500D Generator #7  
It should be wired the same as your 155, or any other manual, and as Reb said, the generator has nothing to do with your problem, if you have one. You can disconnect the gen and troubleshoot the starter.

/ Yanmar 1500D Generator #8  
The 1500s take different regulators than the 135/155. They have BOTH wires from the generator going to the regulator.

Aaron
Hoye Tractor Parts
Contact Us
(940)592-0181

/ Yanmar 1500D Generator #9  
Aaron
Hoye Tractor Parts
Contact Us
(940)592-0181

Attachments

• 1500wire.jpg
    1500wire.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 1,733
   / Yanmar 1500D Generator #10  
Don't know about tractors, but I do work on cars for a living so maybe this will help (or maybe not). Cars have one large wire going to the starter from the battery. It is usually 12V (14-15 probably when charging). The other small wire going to the solenoid should have NO power on it unless you are in the start position. This should be easily verified with a DVOM (or test light). If your starter solenoid were getting constant power the starter would be always turning and would likely have burned up by now. :)