Yanmar 1800D losing coolant through overflow

/ Yanmar 1800D losing coolant through overflow #1  

kjfitzaz

I have an 1800D, 20hp. About 18 mos ago I blew the head gasket. I replaced it and its been fine until recently I smelled coolant after working it pretty hard. I looked and notice coolant coming out the the overflow resevoir. Now, when I run it pretty hard it seems worse and looks like steam or exhaust coming from the overflow tank. There doesn't appear to be coolant coming from the exhaust like there was when the head gasket blew. I have replaced the radiator cap. Have I blown the head gasket again or could it be something else? Thanks in advance for any help.

/ Yanmar 1800D losing coolant through overflow #2  
I have an 1800D, 20hp. About 18 mos ago I blew the head gasket. I replaced it and its been fine until recently I smelled coolant after working it pretty hard. I looked and notice coolant coming out the the overflow resevoir. Now, when I run it pretty hard it seems worse and looks like steam or exhaust coming from the overflow tank. There doesn't appear to be coolant coming from the exhaust like there was when the head gasket blew. I have replaced the radiator cap. Have I blown the head gasket again or could it be something else? Thanks in advance for any help.

13 lb rad cap?
Danny

/ Yanmar 1800D losing coolant through overflow #3  

From what I have experienced with head gasket problems it appears that you may have answered your question. Depending where the head gasket gives away you may get the hot gases steaming the coolant out the exhaust or leaking into the water jacket causing it to blow the coolant out the radiator. Check your coolant level. Your temperature gauge.

I'm not much of a mechanic, but for what its worth, had a Luv truck that I drove for a couple of years by adding water & stop leak until it erupted then somebody told me that was probably the problem all along. :eek: Hope this helps? Thanks for posting and let us know what the final diagnosis is?

/ Yanmar 1800D losing coolant through overflow #4  
After checking your cap, if nothing wrong there, remove the cap when cold and crank and let the engine run. See if you see any bubbles while idling. If you do it is likely your head gasket. Just from what you have posted it sure sounds likely. I've been there, done that!

/ Yanmar 1800D losing coolant through overflow #5  
sounds pretty normal to me, work the tractor hard the tractor runs a little warmer than usual and disperses hot coolant into the overflow chamber you then smell the coolant, You do not see steam from the exhaust, do you feel a loss of engine power? do you happen to know why the old head gasket blew in the first place? was there a running hot issue at that time before the gasket blew? .......
as advised before... be sure the water is circulating, be sure the outside of radiator is clean so to be sure air is getting through,
does this tractor have a water pump? or is it the perk circulating system?;)

/ Yanmar 1800D losing coolant through overflow #6  
There should only be enough water going out the overflow to account for heat expansion, unless it is boiling, enything more is being blown out by compression.

/ Yanmar 1800D losing coolant through overflow #7  
Did you have the head checked by a machine shop when you replaced the head gasket? If not the gasket may have failed due a slight imperfection. It does not cost much to have it resurfaced.

/ Yanmar 1800D losing coolant through overflow #8  
Radiator caps do go bad. Basically the spring gets weak and they open too soon. You could test the cap by boiling it with a thermometer, but a replacement cap isn't too expensive. I'd try replacing the cap and see if that helps. The bubble in the radiator is a classic garage test for a bad head gasket. Ultimately, put a catch can under the overflow hose to catch the coolant so repeated losses won't result in a low coolant level.