Anybody ever try turning their tiller around?

/ Anybody ever try turning their tiller around? #1  

Cord

Veteran Member
Tractor
Resident Architect
I was looking at my tiller the other day and it occurred to me that it might be possible to flip the axle over so the tiller became a reverse cut. I used to have a walk behind tiller that was reverse cut and it had a couple of advantages; One is that the tiller is much more controllable. My tractor is a bit light in back and the tiller tends to climb out of the hole whereas it lifts the back tires and then pushes the tractor forward. A rather exciting experience if I may say. Second advantage is that by using a reverse cut tiller the tiller pulls it's self down so the 3pt hitch stays tight and accurately controls the depth. The third advantage would be the improved pulverization. I also remember that old tiller would just crumble the soil because the soil had to circulate over the tines instead of just being kicked out back. Anyways, just wondering if anybody ever tried to flip the axle over?

/ Anybody ever try turning their tiller around? #2  
Not to sound smart but, I wonder why they didn't make it reversed with all of those advantages?

/ Anybody ever try turning their tiller around? #3  
I feel the same way since my Mom's walk behind tiller has that feature. If I am in hard grounds though, i just hook up to the boxblade and break up the ground so i can till easier.

/ Anybody ever try turning their tiller around? #4  
Good to see you are still around, Cord. :thumbsup: I know that I have taken some pretty wild rides when my tiller hit something immovable like a tree root or a chunk of concrete (The builder had a bit left and just dumped it in the yard I was tilling). I have used the tiller to back into brush or shrubbery to uproot them and it worked admirably.

I have thought of it some but have not tried it. I did read somewhere, maybe here, of some distinct disadvantages. I remember a couple and the first is that if you hit something like a tree root it would pull the tiller down into it. 2) and, because there is no slip clutch or shear pin, could break something if something hung and it is more likely with the reverse, because the tines would "hook" roots etc. 3.) This is caused by the design on the tines being one way. Our tines have a scimitar shape, but those of other tillers are straight with a 90 degree sideways bend and generally sharpened on both sides.

Mike

Last edited:
   / Anybody ever try turning their tiller around? #5  
In hard clay and semi rocky soil, I have opened my gate and tilled backwards on the first pass just to let the tiller dig in. It isn't pretty, but it does dig in and finish forward for a smooth job.

I don't recommend this if you don't have some creep gears or hydo, and I do idle the engine down to about a 3rd throttle. Just have to feel how your tractor/tiller reacts to this.